LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - JULY 2019

Link to June 2019 thread (Following Karen's excellent example of providing useful links....)

On 1 July, chick 1 is 30 days old. Chick 2, from egg 3, is 27 days old. 

Apart from the sad failure-to-hatch of egg 2 , everything has been reasonably settled on the nest, and Louis is in the running for Mary's 'Fisherman of the Year Award'.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Ian S said:
    osprey intruder activity including a landing on the nest at 17.37 that Aila quickly dealt with.

Thank you, IAN.  As you can see, I'm not firing on all cylinders still.

Strong face markings:

Just two frames where we could see both their faces:

Job done!

IMAGICAT

• What a good job that I checked the nest, having had the display turned off for hours!

Big buffer:

Then this:

When I reclicked the live link the picture was exactly the same except that the juvie's head is now down Slight smile

I'm packing up now, I hope I can do a catchup in the morning.

IMAGICAT

• 04-15 Early 'brekkie' Fish - first of the day, Well headless, but fair size. Slight smile

• 05-24 Second fish .. much smaller, but whole, which Mallie initially grabbed.

Some 5 mins later, after Mallie had struggled to get really into the fish, Rannoch started protestations, and then moved in to try and grab the fish off Mallie, but so far has failed.

• By 05-45 JJ0 had lost interest, and turned to practising her furniture moving skills, whilst JJ2 having eaten some of the fish, got tired of the struggle and left her hold of the fish. Aila then moved in and claimed what remained.

• Aila standing over 2 sleeping chicks
  • JJ0 taking the 0.54 fish, as per Trying's account. JJ2 eventually got fed from it by mum.

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• CATCHUP from yesterday evening

(EDIT - I've had the RF box open for hours, the last posts I remember seeing are TRYING's fish reports.  I intended to go thru this and edit out some of the snaps but now need to cool down so you'll just have to put up with the surfeit, mwah.)

She stayed:

Mallie ate some of the leftover fish:

Rannoch gave her a pat on the back ;)

Aila fed her for a little while then finished the fish herself:

Mallie got off the ground for half a second :)

No supper fish!

Mainly this flyer - does anyone know what it is?

Mallie knocked Aila about:

Rannoch joined in:

Aila got out of the way and had a flyabout from the perch and back:

A different flyer during Aila's flyabout from the perch:

Aila picked up this bark and dropped it right on a JJ's beak - it blurred as the JJ jumped up, all was well in the end:

Someone bothered Aila:

OK, back to perch:

A firm grip with each foot:

After nearly 20 minutes of preening with tail-shakes and a wing-stretch:

Aila's flyabout was shortly followed by the 04:00 buffer:

I think Louis had had a good breakFISH - but it was enough to satisfy the JJs for the time being and Aila got some too:

Even while zuzzing Aila can sense a FISH!

A whole one:

Mallie took possession and coped well, then Rannoch could wait no longer and pinched herself a good morsel:

Mallie took the fish away and Rannoch passed the time:

Aila persistently complained:

When Mallie lost interest she fed Rannoch:

Did some housekeeping:

I didn't note which JJ nabbed the bark to lie down with:

Aila flew:

Someone interesting up there?

Aila returned with a small piece of bark and sat down with the kids:

I couldn't interpret what sort of calling this was - not alarm, not fish... she flew:

Returning with a small clump:

Again, even smaller clumps, one in each foot:

Rannoch overbalanced:

Rannoch was stretching and preening while Mallie tried to rest:

Then Mallie caused a disturbance:

Mallie up for a poop:

Aila flew:

Rannoch shifts herself and copies but in reverse order:

After a period of blurry wingercising they lay down to preen/rest, then Aila's distant alarm calls flattened them:

Mallie got the urge

And got some height:

Landed on Rannoch, she got up:

~ THE END ~

(They are currently lying down.)

IMAGICAT

• Intruder alert, close by, tried to land I would think but I'm at Manton Bay right now...

IMAGICAT

• 11-53 Goodly headless fish, which Mallie could hardly move as she tried to grab it. Aila was on side rest at the time, but soon joined the rest on the nest