LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - JULY 2019

Link to June 2019 thread (Following Karen's excellent example of providing useful links....)

On 1 July, chick 1 is 30 days old. Chick 2, from egg 3, is 27 days old. 

Apart from the sad failure-to-hatch of egg 2 , everything has been reasonably settled on the nest, and Louis is in the running for Mary's 'Fisherman of the Year Award'.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Thank you, TRYING and KORKY:) I can't focus on this at the mo, but I just noticed JJ0 (presumably) getting a little lift-off :o

IMAGICAT

• 09-54 More Fish .. Good size and headless. 
    Aila stood by while JJ2 grabbed it.
    Trouble is, JJ2 hasn't quite worked out what to do with it once she has claimed it. She hasn't really fathomed out where you start eating. Eventually JJ2 just lets Aila have it and watches closely as Aila shows JJ2 how it is done. Aila then lets JJ2 grab it again and have another go at feeding herself

After JJ2 has faffed about with it for a bit...she eventually lets JJ0 take it, who seems to fair better at feeding herself

• Ian S said:

scylla said:
    Louis's latest FISH offering left the girls quite stunned - except that one of the JJs got their foot on it.

JJO grabbed it from Louis, and tried to nip Aila about five times whilst semi-mantling over the fish. Eventually Aila took charge of the fish. Ian

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Better late than never ;)

The next fish was a plump half:

Aila was watchful down the right side for many minutes:

Right on nightcam switchover, this flyer persisted for more than 10 minutes!  (Snaps in random order - even I have some life!)

Aila still watchful on the right side:

Off she flew for -5 minutes:

Back she came:

Stationed herself in the same place, checking this way and that:

Suffering the odd disturbance ;)

Everyone zuzzing :-*

It doesn't take much to get her attention tho:

Aila tucked !!! !!! !!!

I expect this was post-poop but I'm not going to be prurient (for a change):

JJ2 was curious for a moment:

Aila went AWOL for the rest of the night:

JJ0 woke up JJ2 with a start:

One could interpret this as a stand-off with JJ2 dominating ;) but one shouldn't:

But one shouldn't:

I got prurient again ;)

Aila visited, both chicks had a blurrily active phase:

And went back to sleep:

Until an excellent BREAKFISH appeared, with no-one in a blur ;)

JJ0 didn't come forward to be fed :-/

But was then still expectant after Aila had polished off the tail:

Back came the mist and Aila flew:

The children went back to sleep:

Since then they did some vigorous wingercising - they may not have got lift-off but certainly took some weight off their feet, esp JJ0.

I think KORKY got another fish?  Anyway, I have to break off now :)

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I think KORKY got another fish? 

I don't think so. I posted one fish that Trying had spotted, just a bit later than when it landed.

Anyhow, here's the current scene. Louis has been a great provider. Let's hope these girls manage to fledge when the time's right,  given their avoirdupois.

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• Brief visit from Aila. No fish though for a while. She looks like she could do with one

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• Serious fencing but she just plonked it:

Not a fish, despite appearances ;)

IMAGICAT

• We're bored. We're hungry. Let's rearrange the furniture.

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• I get the impression there is someone unwelcome in the area.

Aila is above the cam now.

IMAGICAT

• There’s a vote for the names up now. See their Twitter feed.
  • 16.57, after much calling by Aila from the top of the camera, Louis brings in a nice headless fish. Aila grabs it and is feeding the JJs. Ian