LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - JULY 2019

Link to June 2019 thread (Following Karen's excellent example of providing useful links....)

On 1 July, chick 1 is 30 days old. Chick 2, from egg 3, is 27 days old. 

Apart from the sad failure-to-hatch of egg 2 , everything has been reasonably settled on the nest, and Louis is in the running for Mary's 'Fisherman of the Year Award'.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Hopefully I can give a couple of clues to juvenile ID, apart from the rings obviously! Rannoch is the bigger of the two (remember there was some speculation that Mallie might be a boy) and has a much more pronounced necklace/bib (probably the difference easiest to spot). Of the two, I think Mallie has the lighter feather colours & sometimes I think I can see a similar "flamenco dancer" marking on the back of her head to Louis. Generally (although not exclusively) Mallie is the noisier of the two :) Ian

• Mallie just landed after Aila shot off the cam post. Fish ahoy??

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• Rannoch's got a WHOPPER but Mallie's waiting... and may have taken it as I type :o

I'm doing catchup so will cover it eventually.

• CATCHUP

The overnight buffering merged into the regular 4am buffer, from which the cam emerged recovered :)

Louis managed to fish (and eat!) this misty morning:

Aila joined him in a second:

Then Mallie:

Feed soon over, Mallie had a prance around and left, as did Aila not long after:

Mallie paid another brief visit then came back and got another FISH!

Rannoch turned up (that's a relief, where's she been?!):

But she only managed to get a cast-off morsel, which took a long time to eat, then she gave up waiting and left, Mallie finished fish and left:

Short visits:

Very vocal Aila:

Up to campost, didn't see her leave:

Aila brought some invisible twigs, then up to Robin's perch and away:

Rannoch had tantrums ;) and off she flew:

Both turned up:

Mallie did a little stick-shifting and left:

No intruder alarms but Rannoch played safe:

What a nice surprise she got!  Maybe not a 'whopper' but a very good whole fish:

Trouble?

Rannoch managed to keep the fish :)  EDIT - but not for long !!!

To be continued...

• A lovely update, Scylla. I have a soft spot for Rannoch, possibly because she was last to fledge and I sort of got to know her! Was that fish a mackerel?
  • ENS and the gentle sounds of plip plops.  It looks a rather wet nest even if it isn't pouring

• Now you mention it, SHEILA, maybe it was a mackerell :)

scylla said:
    Rannoch managed to keep the fish :)  EDIT - but not for long !!!

But she did get it back... when Mallie had had enough:

• Having had a look at the fish I reckon it is a small Coalfish or Pollock. Difficult to tell which one when only that size, but I would opt more for Coalfish due to its dark colour and white line along the flank, but still an unusual catch.

• A noisy brief visit by Mallie, in the rain.  She called well before she landed!  Called, and moved a stick

and called again

She got up close and personal with cam, but I deleted it instead of saving it - amid a cold caller that I ended up shouting at too!!

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

• Someone is on the cam post, calling!