LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - JULY 2019

Link to June 2019 thread (Following Karen's excellent example of providing useful links....)

On 1 July, chick 1 is 30 days old. Chick 2, from egg 3, is 27 days old. 

Apart from the sad failure-to-hatch of egg 2 , everything has been reasonably settled on the nest, and Louis is in the running for Mary's 'Fisherman of the Year Award'.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• I had a break and had to do catch up to actually find out she had fledged! But having made it to the perch, she clearly thought it was going to be a doddle! It was a very professional lift off, particularly as I hadn't seen her do much helicoptering, and certainly not out of sight. Amazing. Well done Rannoch.
    Mallie is still on the nest, calling for her fish supper - in vain at the moment.
    Rannoch looked so grown up earlier when Mallie kept appearing, calling for food and leaving. she just ignored her sis with a look of almost disdain at one point. What a lovely osprey she is!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Mallie's impatience has been rewarded.  Louis arrived with a fish, and there was a right old tussle to get the fish from him.  I think Mallie probably got one of Louis' talons again

18.41 fish arrives

Louis finally hands it over and flies off

Squeals of pleasure, and periods of silence and she tucks into her fish

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

• 18.40, Louis brings in a flounder, Mallie just about takes his leg off in her rush to get it. Louis escapes to the pole tree (the one to the left) after me saying yesterday that he never uses it as a perch! Ian

• Super coverage, SHEILA :-* 

This evening I turned the display back on and was horrified to see a Windows Update notice taking up part of the cam's real estate.  Never mind, thank goodness I caught it before Rannoch fledged, she's still on the nest.

I was enjoying watching this out of the corner of my eye...

SheilaFE said:
    Mallie's impatience has been rewarded.  Louis arrived with a fish, and there was a right old tussle to get the fish from him.

Not suspecting for a moment that it wasn't Rannoch !!!

I coulda shoulda done things to avoid this, but that laptop doesn't usually get updated until very late...

So here's my fledge video, wart and all ;-D

EDIT - Forgot to mention how lovely it was to hear the encouraging chirps from "out there" :)

IMAGICAT

• I've managed to download from YT rollback for Mallie's "attack" on poor Louis's foot, my screen version had the Windows Update msg on it until I cleared it.

I am now downloading the YT live stream because I need to shut down the recorder in order to install that pesky update, which will take some time.

IMAGICAT

• Quote me: which will take some time.

It was much quicker than "this" laptop's update, which took well over an hour :o

IMAGICAT

• Less work, I suppose, but... ;)

IMAGICAT

• Thanks for the video of little Rannoch's fledge, SCYLLA A beautiful fly away to watch but makes me feel quite sad to see an empty nest.......which is ridiculous because itt means this has been a lovely, successful season for Aila and Louis after last year's disaster......so well done you and to all the other parents which have had the privilege of watching
  • Rannoch stayed out all night as did Mallie (who has done so most nights) but came back for breakfast. Rannoch seemed to jump down from the camera, maybe she had been there all night. Aila is currently alone on the nest. Ian
  • Morning all.  Many thanks for the vids Scylla.  Lovely!

When I opened the cam this morning 10.15 Aila was on the perch, and Rannoch on the nest.  Aila soon flew off

Rannoch had a few flapping episodes - just for practise you understand!

10.21 and she too flew off

10.31 Aila landed and mantled.  Rannoch followed her in.  Was there an intruder, or did Aila not recognise Rannoch in the skies?

Rannoch soon appeared

10.36 Aila flew off

10.39 Rannoch has remained on the nest, looking around.

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP