Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 June 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe week. 

I'm working on my freelance project, so I won't be posting for a little while, but I hope you all are well! 

dibnlib: You are in my thoughts, and I'm sending you strength. I'm so very sorry. 

• Evening all:  Busy day here. OH's friends arrived; we had a nice chat and an okay lunch; then this pm contractor came by for initial consult re replacing floor and sprucing up paint. I've moved the dishwasher repairman to tomorrow afternoon because, first thing in the morning, SpaceX is launching a Falcon rocket out of Vandenberg and planning to bring it back to the launchpad, so I'm going to zoom up there at the crack of 5:45 (it's an hour away but they're restricting the viewing area so need to get parked early-ish).  I saw a similar launch last October, but it was at night; this one could go as early as 7:15. Have another errand I can do in that area so it's a two-fer and, of course, one of my favorite discount stores (Marshall's) is nearby, so I may be forced to pop in there.

Note that Lincolnshire (where my sister lives) was hit by flooding today, but I WhatsApp'd them and there's lots of water but no problems ("we're on the only hill in the area," said my BiL).

Lynette:  Not sure whether to congratulate you on being re-elected as Chair, but clearly they don't want you to retire.   Is it your OH's birthday on Sunday or just a non-specific treat?

Heather: Hmmm, if it's a pump that's gone, that means we'll probably have to order the part and then wait some more.  Oh well.

OG: Hope the forecast holds for your doc appt.

Take care everyone.

• Good Morning. Wet again here, but not pouring down, just dripping gently. My OH has decided to wait and see if there's a 'window' for him to go and hit a few practise golf balls.

Annette, its been bad in your sisters part of the country, but at least the rain should be ceasing soon. Lucky they're on higher ground! Bad flooding on some roads has caused delays.

I think perhaps Lynette is referring to next Sunday being Fathers Day here.
  • Another damp day here, can't do anything about it....
    OG - I agree about the car. I get on well with the 'other' family or so I like to believe! However, I often see one or other of their cars parked outside and never get a knock on the door. It's not vastly different to when my OH was alive so I just shrug my shoulders.
    LYNETTE - I put the summer weight duvet on the bed weeks ago but have been putting a 'throw' on top, recently.
    ANNETTE - fingers crossed for your dishwasher!
  • Another damp day here, can't do anything about it....
    OG - I agree about the car. I get on well with the 'other' family or so I like to believe! However, I often see one or other of their cars parked outside and never get a knock on the door. It's not vastly different to when my OH was alive so I just shrug my shoulders.
    LYNETTE - I put the summer weight duvet on the bed weeks ago but have been putting a 'throw' on top, recently.
    ANNETTE - fingers crossed for your dishwasher!
  • Oh dear, sorry about duplicate post. My kindle works more slowly than my fingers, it seems!
    LINDY - my OH always found a good reason to keep to his regular golf/bowling/fishing! He enjoyed the company of other like minded blokes :-) Sometimes if the weather was really diabolical they would just sit in the clubhouse enjoying coffee and biscuits!
  • Its very wet in the garden: went out to feed the birds and I squelched across the lawn afterwards, to look at three magnificent red poppies which have come out recently. Some of the roses (I don't have many) have rotted on the stem just after flowering. However, the rain has made everything grow madly.

My OH keeps up with old (I mean old in both senses of the word....) friends by keeping up his golf and still going to the Bowling Club, where he is a member but does not now play for a team, as he tired of having to turn out so often to "make up the numbers" in other games when folks did not turn up.

Tomorrow he has an appointment to have the moles removed which look suspect. One of them does look rather strange, so I'm wondering if that will be the end of the matter. They'll be sent away for diagnosis afterwards, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I took off the winter weight duvets and put the summer ones on, and some nights we have supplemented these with an extra blanket, too! Not at all like this time last year when I think we were too hot!
  • Here is the red poppy mentioned above, taken a few years ago:

• Morning all:  Well, still at home this morning.  Called Vandenberg first thing and they said it was cloudy and foggy - evident from the live coverage now showing!   We'll probably hear it though.  I am listening - it's just launched.  :-)

Heather: That's interesting about the "other" family.  You could always play stupid and call authorities to say a strange car has been abandoned outside your house.  :-))   Here, they'd get a notice warning the owner to move it within 3 days or else it would be towed....   We have a rather spiffy brand new white truck that we and our immediate neighbors noticed gets moved around the area regularly.  It was parked near our house for a week (we all assumed it was related to this or that neighbor), then the guy across the road said it was often parked a couple of blocks over, on another street. We speculated the driver was hiding it from someone.

Lindybird: Lovely red that poppy - their petals are like tissue paper.  

• LINDY Hope everything goes ok for OH.

We had planned to go to Cromarty today for a pizza and a walk there, and then Rosemarkie on the way home. Alas, the weather made us think otherwise so after a swim and coffee at Tiso we lunched at Brodie and gave Benson a walk in the shelter of the trees. We will take hime to a dog minder tomorrow before heading down the A9. Back on Friday after the funeral and a bite to eat with family
  • Shame about the rain, dibnlib: hope you enjoyed your lunch just the same. Have good journeys there and back, and that the funeral goes well, as they do. Its a strange opportunity to catch up on family news afterwards.

Annette, I thought you meant the launch was tomorrow - sorry you missed it. I would love to see one take off. Yes, there's something very ethereal about poppies, they're so delicate.