GLASLYN OSPREYS – JUNE 2019

Link to previous thread:   Glaslyn Ospreys - May 2019

The season so far:    Mrs G arrived back 25 March and Aran on 1 April.  Mrs G laid 3 eggs 13, 16 and 19 April hatching 19, 21 and 24 May.   Mrs G and Aran continue to work hard to raise their young and Aran is once more proving to be an excellent provider bringing in plenty of fish to feed his family.  

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• just catching you. I can't believe what I'm reading. This is sad, they were doing well, with experienced parents. Nature can be so cruel.
  • Hello LadyBird, a sad time for you to join us, but welcome.
    I'm not sure that Glaslyn will be able to help - they will require a licence to approach the nest, and no doubt those powers-that-be will work Mon to Fri 9 to 5.
    #1 is having a good feed; #3 is breathing heavily, but still at the moment. I can't begin to imagine how the Glaslyn team are feeling just now. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I agree Ian.  After seeing a similar situation at Lowes and now here I have come to the conclusion that ospreys and probably all birds are not capable of thought, or as Ian says problem solving, they run purely on instinct, so I doubt help will be coming from the parents, probably not Glaslyn either, so I fear all is lost unless the chick can somehow manage a mighty big effort to right itself, I can't see that coming.  I'm also worried the wing is damaged, unbelievably sad after losing chick 2 this morning.  Please, please let me be wrong!

• If it weren't so awful, one could laugh. #1 snuggles up to #3 and leaned over to clean its beak, covering #3 and making life even more difficult. At least #3 is still active and looking very alert, and struggling hard to get free.

• Please call Emyr, I'm sure he would help., but my thoughts are with team.
  • Many thanks to Everyone for all of the reports. I have not been able to watch the webcam or read this Forum for a couple of days so it is very sad to see what is happening on the Glaslyn nest. Like others, I feel for the staff and volunteers at Glaslyn. They presumably have visitors today, as every day, who have never been to visit and who know nothing about Ospreys. My heart goes out to everyone at Glaslyn.
    As I have a relative who insists that something good will come out of every tragedy, I have been trying to imagine what she might possibly say about this. Please bear with me--here goes: 'Yes, this is very sad but just try to keep in mind that male Osprey 33 at the Manton Bay nest at Rutland Water ended up being the sole chick on Mr and Mrs Rutland's nest after disruption by intruders. That was very sad but the upshot was that 33 then received the full attention of both parents and look at him now--King of the Manton Bay nest and feeding 4 youngsters of his own with the amazing Maya. Fingers crossed that if we are soon left with only one, that that remaining chick will thrive and survive to add to the numbers of grandchicks for Mrs G (and Aran).'

Kind regards, Ann

• Cathy, Emyr posted on the one of the Facebook pages earlier today about this situation so presumably he is keeping up with this story.

Edit:  Just to add that the Dyfi and Glaslyn groups communicate with each other often.

Kind regards, Ann

• 15.04 Intruder alert. Aran was on the perch, Mrs G the nest. Both mantles and called. Aran returned to the nest.
    15.05 danger seen off.

• Absolutely, Birdie.  I feel they cannot and will not intervene.  It is nature.  We can only hope that Mrs G removes the dead osp and #3 is strong enough to get thru it all.  Perhaps we should remember Jess's blog last year, when they made the difficult decision not to intervene.  At least the weather is good today and #3 has been fed - first by Aran just before it tumbled into the cup, and then by Mrs G when caught in the cup.  We can do nothing but hope.