MANTON BAY – JUNE 2019

Link to previous thread:   Manton Bay – May 2019

The season so far:    Maya arrived back 14 March and Blue 33(11) on 23 March.  Maya laid 4 eggs 2, 5, 8 and 11 April hatching 11, 11, 13 and 17 May.   Maya and 33 continue to work hard to raise their young and 33 is once more proving to be an excellent provider bringing in plenty of fish to feed his family.  

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Female Ospreys are pretty big birds, but even they will struggle to cover 4 chicks of this size.

It's one time thats its an advantage being No 3 or No 4 and you can sneak in underneath. 

©Leicestershire and Rutland wildlife trust

Richard B

• Hear, hear Scylla and Sandra. I am away at the moment and the amazing descriptions and pics are quite wonderful to read and see. I can't believe how all the chicks have grown over the past two weeks, and although I shouldn't really say it. I am looking forward to getting home and back to my laptop soon!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks Scylla, Sandra and Sheila for the kind comments but what I do is nothing in comparison to what most of you for you cover so many nests. Scylla you are the one that is amazing as to how you cover so much with all the catch ups, your recordings, editing and scrolling thru our posts to see what to pick up - now that is hard work :-) But it is nice to know posts are enjoyed - so thank you :-)
  • While I was having my dinner so were the chicks and another bout of aggression

Here is an account of the 17:00 feed!

16:20 33 flies off with the fish piece 

16:57 33 returns with the fish and Maya starts to feed.  #3, #2 and #1 line up

16:58  #4 smells the fish, wobbles up and starts pushing in between #1 and #2.  It really was pushing with all its might using its tiny wings and feet :-D

16:59  #4 gets a piece of fish

and immediately #2 attacks #4.   #3 goes into submission.   

16:59  #2 stares at #4 as if daring it to move.  #3 is in submission and #1 stares at #2

17:02  #2 returns to the line along side #1

17:04 then #1 turns and obviously set on showing its authority - attacks #4 who is still in submission pose

then #1 proceeds to attack #3

and then it sets off after #2 

17:07 33 flies off and #1 continues attacking #2

#1 then returned to Maya and had the rest of the fish tail.

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

I expect 33 will bring another fish in tonight (last two nights have been just before 9pm) so we will see what happens.

• My goodness that is a feisty chick but it’s survival of the fittest. Fingers crossed for a late supper.
  • A fish supper for one of the larger chicks, No 4 is edging closer but turns away.
  • Good morning, a fresh flapping fish has just been delivered by Blue 33 and a feed is underway.
  • A quick superficial check of get-go time shows #4 getting some bites, I hope:

Then Maya flew off and brought in a stick!

05:44 FISH per 33:

Was this the 2 littler ones up for it?

Maya with another stick (the bottom cam was frozen):

Lots of nestorising:

33 with another fish:

There have been several feeds so far this morning.

• Morning All - thanks for the updates and captures of this morning's going ons Scylla.

Last night : 33 did deliver a fish not long before 9pm (as Jane's post) and it was just a repeat of the previous two nights with some aggression shown to the younger chicks and between the older pair however it was a fair sized fish and the younger chicks got some fish after the older ones were fed.