MANTON BAY – JUNE 2019

Link to previous thread:   Manton Bay – May 2019

The season so far:    Maya arrived back 14 March and Blue 33(11) on 23 March.  Maya laid 4 eggs 2, 5, 8 and 11 April hatching 11, 11, 13 and 17 May.   Maya and 33 continue to work hard to raise their young and 33 is once more proving to be an excellent provider bringing in plenty of fish to feed his family.  

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Scene just now 

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Out today and will catch up later.    BFN

• Another fish and feed.  No 4 is not afraid to stand it's ground but I suspect it's facing up to No 3 and not one of the two older chicks.

I have to say I am filling in an online tax return at the same time as doing this and that is far less stressful.  The cam is constantly freezing and ouching, respect to those that keep us all up todate, I'll mention no names as I'm bound to forget someone.

• I have no idea which one is nibbling at the fish.

• Intrusion in progress, I'll see if we've glimpsed anyone.
  • Bottom cam was frozen the whole time (both cams frozen as I type).

33 flew in:

• 13:30 Feed  

#4 turns away full leaving #3 getting more

then #4 moves a little twig  :-D

the older chicks enjoy some fish too

all very orderly :-)

• 33 just landed with a fresh fish

16:07 Maya starts to feed the older chicks

#1 snatched a piece and #2 snapped at it and then #1 turned around and took out its aggression on #4

#3 and #4 stay at back while #1 returns to be fed.

But then the older two start fighting and #1 attacks #2

#2 backs off and now Maya feed #1

16:17  #3 joins the feed along with #1 and #2 had also moved up but no attempt to eat

16:20 #1 turns away and #3 continues to eat with #2 standing by

16:23 #4 now creeps warily up to the feed.  #3 continues eating

16:25 #2 now attacks #4 and #3 leaves the feed but it has had plenty

16:28  #2 continues to eat with #4 in submission pose

16:32  #2 turns away but #4 keeps its head down

16:33 #2 has returned and having more fish.  #4 still keeping its head down

16:35 #2 turns away and joins its siblings.    #4 now gets its head up and Maya begins to feed #4

16:37  #4 now the only one eating and getting plenty of fish:-)

16:40 #4 now turns away and all chicks have been well fed and now snoozing allowing Maya to have some fish to herself

Oh, LOL   #4 has returned for more ...  then another but there is plenty :-)

• Gosh, what sagas at feeding times! How will they all manage when the chicks get even bigger! Thanks for the details of the goings-on on here, nice to see them all growing in spite of the (natural) aggresion. .
  • Maya had flown and 33 lands with a live fish.   Chicks up at his feet!

Maya returns with a large stick.

Maya grabs the fish and the chicks line up - #4 in front!

19:38   #3 and #4 getting fed, older ones not too bothered 

19:40  #3 turns away leaving #4 the only one eating

19:41  #2 joins and #4 steps aside, no aggression, but Maya slips it the odd bit

19:43 Feed continues - #3, #4 and #2 all eating

19:45   #2 now shows aggression and pecks #4 who gets its head down.   Maya continues to feed #3 along with #2.    Chick #1 (thinner stripe on head) has shown no interest yet and lying down.

19:48  Chick #1 now pushes in wanting fed.   #2 lies down, #4 still in submission pose and #3 eating

19:49  #1 threatens #3

19:50  #1 then attacks #4 

Maya continues to feed #1 the other chicks keeping their backs to it.  Must have been a small fish for it was soon devoured.   

19:55 Feed over and #1 snuggles into its siblings

• Of the two older chicks, one is more dominant.  It is not nice but just their way with their pecking order.  There is a very slight difference between the chicks and the dominant chick, #1 can be identified by the thinner stripe on its head.  

Capture of Chick #1  - you can see how the line is thinner, sometimes looks like a break,  at the bottom of the centre stripe 

Chick #2 - although same age, it is dominated by the other hence calling and referring to it as #2 but you can see its stripe is much thicker at the base

LOL   I have most likely bored you with this but just saying how I think of and have referred to the chicks as #1 and #2 in postings :-D