Osprey Chat - May/June 2019

Thread for general osprey chat. 

• Pictures of Loch Garten 30 years ago are very hard to get. I think the chicks were about 5 weeks old.
  • It's amazing that both chicks survived, Tiger.  

Do you know whether they were ringed, or indeed when did they start ringing chicks?

I  read that it was in 1993 that the first cam was put up on the nest.  I am not sure where I got this piece of info!

Tuesday 6 April 1993

A PAIR of nesting Scottish ospreys are to be filmed so the public can see how they live in their traditional nest site at Loch Garten in the Highlands.

Officials of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds said that a video camera had been placed overlooking their nest site.  The RSPB believes the birds are the same pair who raised a chick there last year before departing for West Africa to spend the winter. A public viewing hide near the site will not be opened until the ospreys have settled down and laid eggs, the officials said.

• The chicks were ringed  from 1967 onward. There is a record of what happened to them in 1967 if I could lay my hands on it. 

• Thanks for your reply TIGER and that additional info SHEILA
    As SHEILA says that its amazing bith chicks made it What an incredible dad!
  • I was searching for something and came across this article written in Feb 2001

We probably don't know the half of the dangers these Ospreys face, so to have them return year and after year is nothing short of a miracle. 

• Oh dear, Mary, poor osp. It was probably 'paddling' keeping cool and horribly vulnerable.
  • I'm delighted that Aaron is back at Dyfi, and as is noted, they have a good track record of returning juveniles. Contrast Loch Garten over the last 50 years. Has anyone managed to do any kind of analysis on their 'return rate', as compared to Dyfi, or Lowes or indeed, anywhere else? I have a gut feeling that the Scottish nests don't do so well, compared to Rutland, Dyfi etc.
  • Sadly, I think you are right Korky .
  • Unknown said:
    I'm delighted that Aaron is back at Dyfi, and as is noted, they have a good track record of returning juveniles. Contrast Loch Garten over the last 50 years. Has anyone managed to do any kind of analysis on their 'return rate', as compared to Dyfi, or Lowes or indeed, anywhere else? I have a gut feeling that the Scottish nests don't do so well, compared to Rutland, Dyfi etc.

A good project for someone. 

• There are of course many variables, and any study would be limited as I guess no-one knows about all the returning juveniles! Some osprey projects seem more reticent than others in sharing data on ring numbers, returnees etc etc. But someone, somewhere must have access to all the data that's available (even if confidentially shared), plus I'd hope the mathematical skills to evaluate it all. I really should read Tim Mackrills' PhD as I know he mentioned a number of variables on 'success' rates including migration route, energy used etc.