DAILY UPDATES - Loch Garten nest - MAY 2019

The silence is deafening, not least because we haven't even had sound* for a week or two, let alone an osprey on the nest.

*This is to reduce demand on the bandwidth, along with turning off the Feeder cam stream.  It seems that the reason for the reduced bandwidth cannot yet be fathomed.

But who knows what the month of May will bring?  First-time returners are due and there are reports of ospreys flying up thru the country.  Hang in here, everyone!

Carnyx Channel page ~ click LIVE NOW

But it hasn't always been so live:

Then back:

• We get a few Siberian Chiffchaff here in Poole, and there is a little sheltered spot of copse that seems to attract a couple that over winter.

Richard B

• Brilliant CRinger, pity he never ringed it! And so what if you went of the rails (okay thread) a bit, there is nowt to report here anyway, apart from Scylla's lovely videos an little birdies.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• You shouldn't encourage me Catlady. One day we were working on an RSPB reserve checking the nest boxes the RSPB had put on trees. My trainer.......... let's call him 'Sid'.... was very respectful of RSPB and said that we would look in the nestboxes and I would 'scribe' (write down what we saw in each one of them in detail to produce a lengthy report to RSPB at the end of the ringing period). He lifted the nest of a nestbox and said 'Ok And, nestbox 1, great tit sitting on eggs. Don't know how many. We'll come back when they have hatched. Got that And?' 'Got that Sid.' Another nestbox 'Ok And, nestbox 2, this is a piedy fly nest, 3 eggs laid. We'll come back in a week or so. Got that And?' 'Got that Sid.' Another.... 'Nestbox 3, just the start of a redstart nest, no eggs laid. Got that And?' 'Got that Sid.' And another 'Nestbox 4, Ok And, 6 blue tits hatched, 3 unhatched eggs. Got it And?' 'Got that Sid'. 121 nestboxes later and he was still keen to make sure that I wrote every word he uttered for the RSPB report. My pencil was half the size it had been at the start. He lifted the lid of the nestbox saying 'Ok And, box 124,' Within seconds he slammed the lid back down and said 'B***** hell And, a swarm of wasps!' I said 'How many Sid?'.. He didn't ask me to scribe again.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Really enjoyed your posts CRinger and had a good laugh at the last one.

My current complaint re this nest is ........ and I can hardly believe it after so many years, but ........ no radio Chaffinch! It used to be constant
  • CRinger said:
    Well I for one worship Scylla's video. Amazing close up! The challenge I throw out to her is next time try and get the wing spread - if it is emarginated to the 5th primary then it is a confirmed willow warbler, emarginated to the 6th and it is a chifchaff. Go on Scylla! If anyone can do it, then you can!

Well, yes, of course, had we sound we wouldn't need any  emarginating , sigh .

• Thank you all for the most outstanding reaction I've had to a humble video for a long time :o  Signed: Mrs Uriah Heap.

Back again but not so obliging:

The reassuring shadow:

NIGHTCAM 22:22 (I decided)

It's just as well nothing happened, as my pic stayed blurry after nightcam until it dawned on me and I refreshed:

DAYCAM 04:36

It looked to be a very nice day yesterday :(

Oh!  And no cam problems all day/night :o  I hear that last night's problem was caused by a PC update/reboot at Carnyx, and the same happened to me on "this" (not LG) laptop today, out of the blue, so I forgive them ;)

• Uh-oh... buffering then fuzzing.... Recovered, phew!
  • PS - I'm far too busy to express approval/disapproval of yesterday's digressions by CRinger ;-*****

EDIT - I've taken out the rude name I called dear CRINGER ;-*

• Off to get breakfast, and it will be breakfast, too :o
  • Do you really need any encouragement CRinger! Me thinks not! Any more?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.