Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 April 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a joyful May!

Happy May Day!

• Lovely G.Grandchildren pics, OG. The forsythias everywhere seemed full of blooms this year, they are so cheering after the winter gloom.

Good Morning, on the 1st May already! A little damp here, but should dry up later and I'll be able to do some more pottering around in the garden.

My OH has gone off to do some golf practice, after missing his usual game yesterday but he used the time to repaint in our tiny en suite bathroom. It's not a huge job as we have tiles floor to ceiling.
  • LINDA - damp here from early morning rain, but no more expected till 30% chance from 5pm - looks like OH will have it fine to prepare the car with roof-box etc. It seems incredible that we are already at May 1st - why do spring and summer go so fast compared with winter? We are having floor tiles in our ensuite replaced with sealed vinyl floor next week, after which OH will have a painting job in there!

I have most of the morning to myself today, so am checking the packing list for things To Do - already ticked three things, so getting there!
  • Good afternoon -

ANNETTE - son's shop is suffering from general High Street woes. Most of the local independent traders are in the same situation. His is  a niche market - the products that he sells are not found in the supermarkets. His customers buy out of choice, not necessity. The word is spreading, though, he has had customers from 100 miles away. Just not all at once, though!

OG - Going with J sounds a very good idea, for lots of reasons. I hope that you will get some enjoyment out of having a couple of days away, since it is almost a year since you have been on a 'road trip'.
    My forsythia is blooming but not from top to bottom!

LINDY - You must have handed the red shoes over very reluctantly....
    I haven't bought any shoes, yet. I've got four family birthdays this month, plus a road trip to Shropshire for Emilia's Christening. The hotel is booked. Given that I do have a pair of hotter shoes that I bought in the sale last year and haven't worn I will wait a while. I hate the ones I got in the sale. They look like old lady shoes :-( I'm not ready to be an old lady quite yet!

ANNETTE/DIANE/JANE - I heard a report on the radio last night or early morning (can't remember which) about a certain person and his finances. It would seem that he has been a very bad boy, borrowing, not repaying etc and is doing everything he can to stop details being made public. Deutsche Bank.....

• Saw a Redpoll feeding on the Nyger seed this morning - beautiful wee bird, made a change from all the Goldfinches (although some of them were there with him).

Correction - it was a Linnet!

• Hi all, been reading all your news.

OG what a coup, he/she is magnificent. Also pics of your G.G.children too are lovely. Hope it goes well for J in Manchester, at least you can relax and have the weekend away.

Lindy - glad visit to Dau went well. They will want to keep an eye on her as she is over a certain age but I'm sure all will go well. Glad they enjoyed the cake.

HeatherB - do hope son's shop will begin to prosper. As you say, it is a niche market so I suppose it can go by word of mouth etc.

OH was commentating today but match closed early due to rain. We have had the odd shower but otherwise cloud and sunshine. He is commentating again on BH Monday so Dau has suggested we go to a Food and Drink event at Holdenby House, country estate not far from us. Could be interesting - providing the weather holds.

Take care all.
  • Evening all: Quick look in. Lovely sunny breezy day here with lots of catch up with friend and a drive around her old haunts near the university.

DIANE: I see you have more bad weather due. Stay safe.

Saw the first Oriole of the season in the garden yesterday, but where are all the hummingbirds???
  • Good Morning. Drizzly and grey here again.

OG - Never seen a Linnet! Would have to look it up, to id.

Lynette - Enjoy time with your daughter. I think Monday might be alright, weather wise.

Annette - Nice for you to have time with an old friend.

Spent some time putting things back into the bathroom last night. Next target is to freshen up some of the plastered bits in the conservatory. Can't decide whether to have a change from the creamy colour it is now, to perhaps a pale green.
  • We’ve had rain, only light showers here yesterday & today, not near enough for garden. We were going out to dinner for my b-day this eve but I don’t fancy driving as thunderstorms & gusty winds predicted. Our favourite restaurant is 40 min drive across other side of town. Defer to next week. I shall rustle up scrambled egg combo for tea instead. Nanny duty yesterday was a breeze, a mere 2 hours, mostly plastering savoury bics with “cow cheese". (A brand of soft spreadable cheese with a cow on label.) Also reading a dozen books, with 2 echoes, as they know their stories off by heart! Then I delivered Miss7 to Guides and hence came home early. Dau has a cold and was feeling miserable. She rang today apologetic as she forgot to give me my b-day gift. I can wait!
  • Shame you couldn't have your birthday meal yet, AQ, but I don't blame you! Something to look forward to, instead :-) We have "Cow cheese" here, too, cheese triangles, which I love!

Going out now, even though it's drizzly. Need some bits from Sainsbugs and some new paint charts!
  • Good morning, ALL. May get a little rain later but know we shan’t manage the whole journey without showers – just hoping it will be clear crossing Shap.

LYNETTE – we intend to have some enjoyment at the weekend. While J is at the hospital, we may go down to John Lewis at Cheadle Royal, and on Saturday we shall browse the Trafford Centre – and its always good to enjoy eating out in different places! I hope you and Daughter will have a good day on Monday.

ANNETTE – pleased you had a good day with Friend. Pleased you saw an Oriole, but strange that there are no Hummers yet!

LINDA – Linnet is roughly the same as a Redpoll (which is why I get them confused); both are size of a Siskin (ie smaller than Goldfinch) but Linnet has a blush pink chest – very pretty. They are on the Red list for rarity. Pale Green sounds a good colour for the conservatory walls, echoing the green outside.

AQ – well, you have another week to anticipate your birthday meal – and Daughter’s gift! Glad you had an easy Nanny-day; I hope you haven’t caught Daughter’s cold!

Cleaner is here this morning, so have to follow her schedule to begin packing – she does our room first, so at least we shall soon get in there to pack on the bed. J packed last evening – fairly efficiently it seems. OH will fetch him after work so he can come here to change and pick up any last minute items and I am hoping we can leave at 4pm. It was a very light evening yesterday, so would be nice if it could be the same! We shall travel back Sunday, so should get to look in briefly on Monday between preparations for the plumber starting Tuesday.