REMEMBERING EJ

It may be too early to start this thread, and I find it very raw to talk about her, like many more do too, but someone said to me a few weeks ago "I don't think we are going to see EJ again.  Please do a fitting tribute to her" .

SO:-

REMEMBERING EJ

I think I can safely say there are many many hearts breaking at the non return of our beautiful EJ.  We will never know what happened to her but my heart thinks because of her last two disastrous seasons she has decided to stay in her wintering grounds (experts say no, but do get it wrong sometimes) although my head does tells me differently.

EJ had a harder than most "osprey life", her most settled and companionable years were probably with dear Odin.    

She was the most dedicated of mothers, I think she proved that wholeheartedly when covered in snow she would not leave her eggs, then again when only self preservation made her leave the nest during her last two seasons after being almost starved to death.    These are the sadder things that we do not really want to remember but they are the things that made EJ an Osprey above ALL OTHERS and the things that made her earn the respect of all Osprey followers.

It has broken my heart to do this video, but she so needs to be remembered.     

Please add your own memories of her, when you saw her for the first time, and all that she has meant to you over the years.

I do hope that the nest is occupied soon and that LG continues with many successful seasons, for me personally Loch Garten is EJ, there never will be another like her, she was simply "the best".....

• A poignant thread to start Mary, thank you. Unfortunately your video is not available.

Like you, to me EJ and ospreys are synonymous with Loch Garten, and many were drawn into the world of ospreys thru her and her antics with OVS and Henry (HV).  Even as recently as last year she showed just how feisty she was and how she survived for 21 years, when she fought the White Tailed Eagle, and gave short shrift to the pine marten who had the temerity to climb up to the nest.

I came across LG thru the radio programme World on the Move back in 2007, and the subsequent programme in 2008 which included the south and then north migrations of  Logie, the first tagged osprey, with commentary by Roy Dennis.  I was hooked by these amazing journeys and these wonderful birds.  2008 was the last year of Henry, 2009 Odin arrived, and such a wonderful pairing that was.  I was bereft when Odin disappeared in 2017, followed by two years of sadness for EJ.  In a way I am glad she didn't disappear as Odin did.  We can  have our own thoughts of what has happened to her and where her resting place might be without having to believe she was brutally killed, or died thru injury.

As we all know, other ospreys take over our heart as we follow their lives, and I sincerely hope that will happen at 'our' nest, but EJ and Odin will forever remain in my heart.

• Sorry Sheila, can you try it now please.  You Tube sent to try us... 

• Yes, thank you. Oh dear, tears....
  • Such a beautiful tribute Mary, sitting in tears, that's all I can say right now, but will add something at a later date :(
  • That's wonderful, Mary, thank you. I only came to know EJ very late, but appreciate what a very special osprey she is.
  • I dare not watch your video just yet Mary but I've bookmarked the YouTube page for when I feel ready. At the beginning of the season I re watched your tribute to Glesni and felt so heartbroken (again) and found myself sobbing not only for Glesni but also for Odin. (my darling boy)
    Thank you very much for your effort. I too think EJ just decided she'd 'had enough' and yes, the experts are not necessarily expert in everything Osprey.
  • Thank you, Mary. What a lovely tribute to EJ. Like Alison, I only came to know her later. Your video really shows what a beautiful osprey she is. I agree with you and Cirrus - I'm thinking she decided enough was enough and that she has retired in her winter grounds.

• I made my tribute a couple of years ago when she was still very much alive - the bravery and fortitude is amazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFZvHqM8po.

• Been watching EJ for nearly 15 years.. Saw her the year she caused osprey scandal and several other years too, Cried over Odin and Deshar and the wee one... From March to August every year I've lived life with one eye on the computer for live coverage, running back into the room at every osprey shout if I'd dared to do anything else.. I thought last year that something was wrong as she bred with such an awfully inadequate male.. but what do I know? I will miss her terribly and hope that another legend is made sooner or later.. .
  • I have watched and enjoyed your vid on many an occasion, CRinger! Thank you.