Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 April 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful and peaceful week! 

• Talking of nosy neighbours . . . Last weekend Mr Down-the-Street spent some time revving his boat, just to make sure it still has an engine. On Monday Mr Across-the-Road removed his boat from carport, parked it on his front lawn and fussed around assisted by 2 pre-schoolers. (I assume mum was packing in peace!). They’ve gone away already. Earlier today Mr Next-Door was backing his boat into his drive after a trip to fill up with fuel. Ah, we shall have a quiet Easter. I do hope none of them are planning campfires as temps will be high Fri & Sat. Last night another bushfire, this one close to city in Black Hill Conservation Park in steep & difficult terrain. Yesterday’s Clare Valley fire came close to one house; they lost their agapanthus border. Thank goodness for water bombers.

ANNETTE – I must remember never to trip you up. LOL

LINDA – Love the huge wave.  They are so difficult to catch – always a better one just before finger hits the button.

I bought my first hot cross buns today. I refuse to pander to shops’ enticements too early.

• AQ: I will think serious rain thoughts for you guys.... You're obviously not bothered about keeping up with Messr Down the Road/Across the Street/Next-Door.. Do they take the boats to the ocean? Haha re tripping me up - the other thing I'm going to get ruthless with tomorrow is a thick branch on a starflower vine that leans out about 8 inches from the wall and whacks me on the shoulder every time I walk by (it's just a few feet from the plant that was always tripping me up!). It's a conspiracy. :-)

Crow update: I cleaned out the fountain today - as I've mentioned, the crows often dip their snacks in it to soften things up. Well, today I found some penne pasta in the top level. I've no idea where they're getting pasta, but will obviously have to have a word!

Have a good Wednesday all.
  • Good Morning. Sunny and dry here - each day, I've been going around the garden and watering different plants and pots as we've not had a downpour for ages. Except that yesterday, it drizzled as soon as I put the laundry out, Grr! - it was just enough to wet the clothes but not enough to water the plants.

Annette, sorry to hear that your garden is so ungrateful as to attack you regularly. You"ll have to take evasive action! Interesting about the penne pasta, your crows are grazing around all of your neighbours.

AQ - It seems that you'll always have those sudden fires, but not surprising I suppose, given the extra dry conditions. Hope you can enjoy some peace and quiet if your neighbours are all going away!

• My OH has been enjoying the odd hot cross bun, ever since they began selling them, just after Christmas! He can't resist them.
  • ANNETTE - I think the boats visit the River Murray. Plenty of "shacks" for weekenders along the river from Renmark, Berri, Barmera et al and also Blanchetown, Swan Reach, Walker Flat, Mannum, down to Murray Bridge. And all the places in between. Also boating at Goolwa. Some of those shacks are palatial Grand Designs!!!
  • Good morning.  We had some real rain last evening – on and off drips for about an hour but no sign of it on the ground this morning.  Hosepipe out again tonight I believe!

LINDA – pleased to see your OH recovered – and even helped with the “to do list”.  Interesting to see your photos of the saltpans – I assume you have been to the salt museum in your county – at Northwich I seem to remember.

ANNETTE – sorry to see your garden is fighting back!  Pasta in the fountain?  That’s a new one!

AQ – my word! You seem to live in a posh neighbourhood with all the boat owners around!  We used to have a boat owner near us in Lancashire and every spring we heard the preparations with power tools and used to say to each other “There goes Dave, sanding his bottom”.  But I have to say he did look after it well, with fresh varnish below and paint above the waterline.  Sorry about the bushfires, especially being so close to the city.  We have been eating Hot Cross buns right through the year – M&S make a luxury version absolutely loaded with fruit.  We sometimes have one for breakfast!

A quiet day today – J will be going out, then we two will be busy inside this morning and outside in the afternoon.

• Beautiful day here - just been out to the shop without a coat on!

Pics taken some years ago of the ground squirrels, or Barbary Squirrels, as TeeJay said:

• Pretty wee creatures! Are they welcomed by the locals, or are they regarded as unwelcome pests like the greys here?
  • Not sure. We only see them in wild, out of the way places so maybe they shun humans, unless they come bearing foodie treats!

They are indeed "wee creatures" must be half the size of a UK squirrel, as you can see compared to my OHs knobbly knees in the top photo!

• Great chat, thank you !
    I've got lots to reply to but have been very preoccupied today. Middle daughter is trying to get a job that pays more money, she just isn't managing. Her rent and council tax are using up nearly all her wages and her ex husband's maintenance money will shortly come to an end as Amy is almost 18. Son's whisky shop is doing OK but income is down on last year - general high street woes. He is now working single handed. If only I could wave a magic wand......