Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 April 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful and peaceful week! 

• Good morning. Well, the Notre Dame fire did apparently less damage than expected to the basic structure, but repair will take at least ten years. I can't help questioning whether it is right to reconstruct old buildings - just think what happened at Glasgow School of Art! Then I think back to the York Minster fire and the success of the repairs there and I am not so sure what I really think!

LINDA - pleased about Matthew's school place! We too have less sunshine, but also less wind, so it feels warmer even though it isn't.
  • OG – Without the magnificent old buildings would tourists flock in such numbers? Even if they are restorations. I admired cities in Europe that had been WWII damaged and restored. I doubt I would look twice at modern glass & concrete boxes!

Summer won’t go away. Vineyards & stubble burnt in bushfire in Clare Valley today, no houses. Why was anyone doing a “controlled burn” today when it was hot and windy?

• AQ - agree, stupid to do it in a wind! Enjoy your school holidays:-)
    I hope your ' to do' list is shrinking, LINDY. Are you leaving for Wales before the big traffic at the weekend? I'm glad that G's husband is biting the bullet and going on holiday. It can distract but the grief process takes time as we all know. Some reach the adjustment stage more quickly than others....
    OG - it's feeling warmer here today but much of that is due to the wind being a little less easterly.

The Notre Dame fire is such a tragedy but I see that the rose Windows and a lot of the precious artefacts are OK. I heard that the steeple was in fact a 19th century replacement. The loss of the timbered roof is more upsetting.
  • Had to stop hastily this morning as plumber arrived with floor samples, full summary of proposed work and his diary. Date set for 7th May for about three days! OH had his hair cut this afternoon and hairdresser was feeling very chatty! OH is now busy outside - still a bit blowy for me, although I did a couple of hours with potted plants out there yesterday. But I am finding things to do indoors!

Nosy neighbour time again! New young couple across the road had put a fence (for young children) across to their side hedge, They and their older neighbour had the hedge taken out at the weekend and it showed that the end post of the fence was in the next door garden! Both have been calling in reinforcements to measure their own claims! Today older guy had a man in marking out his boundary - very exciting for someone who leads a quiet life!
  • The To Do List looks much better, Heather. My OH helped with some of them! He's a good egg! He feels OK now, incidentally, after a couple of days with a queasy stomach. We hope to leave here on Thursday lunchtime, after golf, of course!! I'm sure G's husband is still in a state of shock, even though she had been ill for some months. They had been married since 1975, so a long time together. I would not be surprised if she had not given him a pep talk when she was ill, saying "Don't mope, when the time comes, get on with life", which would be typical of her. I miss her very much of course. 20 times a day I think "I must tell her about that......."

Very sad about Notre Dame, it makes you wonder as there are now reports that some had predicted problems if there was any kind of fire, but nothing was done about the danger of it. At least some of the very special and old artefacts were saved.

AQ, enjoy your little holiday from Nanny duty, as has been said!

• More holiday pics:

Doesn't look like much, but this is the Salt Museum on the East coast of the island:  the salt has been reclaimed from the sea in a very old manner for many years.  Of course, the modern desalination plant does a better job, which they use for the opposite purpose, to gain fresh water for use generally, but the salt was a precious commodity in the old days and is still collected now.

View of the large salt pans, which are always in various stages: the salt takes some days to dry out in the sun, then is collected with large shovels. The white building was a storage barn for the salt originally.

Next to the barn is a whale skeleton, similar to the one I posted a couple of years ago from another location. This one is huge! but we didn't walk all the way across to see it so don't know how big.

The modern exhibition building on the site:  made from local volcanic stonework and inside, actual rooms showing how the people who worked the salt lived and what they wore, etc.  Also some geological explanations.

The rope in the foreground is a barrier to our going too near.  The rocks are dangerous, but the sea comes in with a flourish, and hurls itself at the land with determination. This is how they used to gather it in.   In this picture and the one below you can see the channel made (to the right of the picture)  for the water to flow naturally downwards and along to the salt plans shown earlier. No water wheel or other mechanism was needed, just the right kind of construction to let the water flow to where they wanted it.

I waited for several minutes, and even missed a couple of good waves, to get a good pic of the surf as it flew up:  it then fills a small basin cut into the rock and flows away from the sea.

This is where it flows to.  In the foreground on the wall, is a little "chipmunk" or ground squirrel which is also common in other parts of the island. He's running back and forth as a man is offering food.

Only caught a back view of him as he ran past....!

The cafe at the side of the main building, and the arty gardens.

Back at the entrance, some kind of art installation but there was no explanation of it to be found!

• AQ: Ah yes, the so-called "controlled burn".......

OG: We have a fence that's losing the plot (no pun intended) between us and the folks next door and we aren't sure who's in charge of it.... Meanwhile, the wanna-be slum landlord across the road had the city authorities called on him by the departing tenants, having done nothing to fix various critical features of the house for months (heating, water heater, etc.). In the winds earlier this month, a huge branch for his long-neglected trees fell onto the road/sidewalk. Meanwhile, another huge branch has torn off the trunk and is just hanging by a thread, with only the branches below supporting it. I called the city and left a message saying it was dangerous, but nobody has called me back (probably because it's on private property). Also meanwhile, the city has been overseeing code violations on the structure and new tenants have moved in. We'll see how long this lot lasts. (What would we do if we didn't have such fascinating neighbors!).

LINDYBIRD: That's interesting about the salt works - thank you. Those earlier folks knew how to make nature work for them without any technology. The Spanish padres who founded the Santa Barbara Mission built a channel out of local stones that brought water from the hills right to their front door (well, it was a natural slope anyway, but you know what I mean). You have to love gravity! Enjoy your time away; good that OH is doing better and helping out...

Plumber is due at our house today too to fix a toilet that's behaving badly. We're hoping it'll be a simply seal replacement but won't know until he's into the job. I went out and bought a new toilet seat - just a basic one. No slow-close silent lids (I don't bang them anyway); also decided I didn't need a built-in light! I mean, really.... how complicated does a toilet seat need to be.

About to zoom out and clean out the fountain. We had a very pleasant surprise yesterday when a Western Bluebird came for a bath in it - I've never seen one in the garden before. Very strong blue with a rusty breast and gray underpants. Quite dashing. Hope we see it again...

Glad to read that at least one of the Rose Windows in Notre Dame was saved and the basic stonework remains intact (apart from the chunks and cracks that were already there). Again, those earlier people sure knew a thing or two...

Take care all
  • I reckon that's a Barbary Squirrel, Lindy. Cute little guys aren't they, always popping out of walls. Not sure if there are any other squirrel species on Fuerteventura.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Don't think so, TeeJay! I have other pics of them from previous visits.

Annette, hope the plumber turned up and could fix the problem. We have one loo with a slow close lid on it, but it's wearing out now and often goes down with a loud "clunk!!" which can be disconcerting!

Love the sound of the Western Bluebird.
  • Evening all:

LINDYBIRD: Plumber showed up, fretted that if a problem (unlikely he admitted, but...), it would take longer than the allotted time so is going to reschedule. Problem not serious, but just needs doing sooner than later. Here's a photo of the Western Bluebird. from the San Diego Natural History Museum's San Diego County Bird Atlas. Photo credit: Ron Wolf. coasttocactus.sdnhm.org/.../western-bluebird

Worked for ages in the garden today tackling a corner that has been ignored for the last year so tidied that up and also decided to take out a plant with a fat base that has tripped me up every year - cut down the plant; roots come out tomorrow.