LOCH ARKAIG (c)The Woodland Trust - 04 April 2019...

The arrival of our couple, virtually together, was first snapped @ 19:12

©SANDRA !!!

©RICHARD G B

©SHEENA

=====================================================

=====================================================

Yikes !!!  I thought I must have missed it but it's all there waiting for attention :)))

Thank you, everyone, for the super captures and info :)

I can't believe they arrived together - but they did! ;-D

Three matings altogether, only the first successful, IMHO.  They were on the nest nearly 13 minutes, this is cut down to 5 but no significant activity missing - you know how they like to stand and (males) mantle and (females) look a bit nonplussed ;)

UNCUT VERSION:

The first was the best ;)

He sat here for ages after his second nestcupping:

IMAGICAT

• A little better view of the 2 eggs:

IMAGICAT

• Louis did get to incubate for a reasonable time, he snuggled a soft clump under his breast:

When it grew dark Aila kept calm, she didn't mind when the rain grew heavier - she's only looking a bit startled here because she's been turning her eggs:

A little more rain on her back:

Here she seems to have a feather shawl around her shoulders - she's just lifted them and that's the dry underside of her feathers we see:

Of course the calm was too good to last:

Some dramatic snaps :o

No more alarms, she turns the eggs:

Slideshow of the next disturbance:

Apart from turning the eggs again, the next significant movement was when she went to the back of the nest to use the outside toilet ;)

You'd think she'd have had a good flap to get some water off her wings, but this was just a half-hearted stretch:

And a little shudder, then back to her eggs.

Since then, so far so good ;)

IMAGICAT

• Did IAN say he'd be away?

IMAGICAT

• It's all been good since the last report.

Aila was turning her eggs as daycam came on.

IMAGICAT

• Louis zoomed in from afar and around, much to Aila's alarm ;-D  Later he flew back in and took over:

IMAGICAT

• L0uis still incubating Aila standing at the back dozing She is nagging him now

• scylla said:

Did IAN say he'd be away?

Hi Scylla, I am taking a short sabbatical for the moment. I have some other pressing matters to attend to, however I am looking in from time to time. Ian

• As long as you're OK, Ian :)))

I've been doing one o' my "nothing happening here" videos - surrounding PATILY's snap above.  It's taken hours because of a tiny mistake.

When Aila returned from her break she spent over 50 minutes standing, dozing, preening - quite happy to let Louis continue to incubate, even when it appeared he might get up.

Since then I've seen more charming scenes that I'm too tired to go over now.

This was them a moment ago, Louis has just flown:

IMAGICAT

• Good morning.  Been watching for ca 30 mins.  Aila was on the side calling for a fish, Louis was incubating.  Eventually he got up, Aila took over, and he flew off.  But Aila continued to give the odd call, so Louis was clearly within sight.  Louis reurned, Aila continued to call, but eventually got up and stood on the rim, while Louis incubated!!  And Aila continues to call.  Seems there hasn't been a fish so far.

10.10 Ails is creeping into the cup, and wandering around Louis, but still he stays put!

10.14 Louis checks the eggs - Aila calls

settles down

10.16  fidgets again

10.20  Aila continues to call and so far Louis hasn't taken the hint

10.21  Louis gets up off the eggs and flies off.  Aila watches

10.23 and incubates

It is very calm at LA, compared to the news and pics from Dyfi - thank you Scylla.

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Aila alarm called and flew off a few moments ago.