OSPREY CHAT - March/April 2019

(I can't find any Chat thread since December, I will delete this if I've erred.)

Some wonderful Osprey photos taken by a blogger on Long Island Beach:

Helen G gave a link to some skydancing photos, and then exploring a few more pages revealed some gems I'm sure we will all enjoy, especially this one:

Conflict !!!

You can use the small arrows on the right margin to check out other pages.

• I have seen mention of delayed incubation on various platforms of late, saying the first egg is often not incubated straight away to enable the chicks to hatch closer together.  I know that ducks and hens, for instance, lay a full clutch before incubating.  

I was trying to remember what EJ did and have looked at 2016 as an example.  I have come across a number of anomalies.  The first obvious thing is that the time and dates on the page are incorrect, so trying to check a date is impossible. The blog is entitled DU Thurs 7 April 2016, and the date of the RSPB page is 8 April 2016!   It is also nearly seven hours out - comparing times given on a post and the time allocated to the post.  iMagicat time for the first egg on 7 April 2016 is 20.06hrs.  On the Forum the first egg is laid on 8 April 15.06 (RSPB time), seen by Moffer and Rusty2.  Birdie's vid posted at 03.11hrs (really!) says the time of laying was  7 April 2016 at 20.06 hrs, which concurs with iMagicat.  

An interesting piece from a short blog announcing the arrival of the egg - "she's been visiting pools to have a drink over the last couple of days" - obviously something they can see from the VC and we can't on cam.

Moving forward to Friday 8 April, the RSPB page now agrees with the date, but not the time!  CC started the new thread in pitch darkness, but the Forum time of the start is 07.47hrs!  And still 7 hours out.  How very confusing.

Anyway enough of the woes of RSPB IT!!  Does anyone remember if EJ deliberately withheld incubation?  I can't remember her doing so, yet Dyfi, Glaslyn and others all say it happens.  EJ seems to incubate straight away, as far as I can recall and the thread for 2016 suggests they both incubated in turn all the time.

It has been a lovely wander down memory lane with EJ and Odin too!

• I have come across a one hundred page pdf called A Season with the Ospsrey by W.H. Majoros, written in 2008.  He studied eagles initially in Maryland, but it wasn't until he relocated to the "Research Triangle area of North Carolina " that he was able to study osprey in more depth, and he took up photography.  It makes interesting reading without having to actually spend any money!

• I have bookmarked the book Sheila to read when it is horrid and I can't get out to the garden, unlike today. Lovely and sunny again, so off out to potter and make the most of it, we have SNOW forecast for Thursday- Friday!
  • Downloaded that pdf, thank you SHEILA :)
  • What a great article Sheila and thanks for sharing. I gobbled it up! Always happy to read about ospreys and a great mix of science and personal observation, insight and wit! How lucky to be able to watch a nest so closely over time. Wonderful photos too.
  • I have downloaded too Sheila for my 'book at bedtime' ... also googled & found this site with lots of interesting stuff ... http://www.billmajoros.com
    What a clever chap!