LOCH GARTEN NEST - 16 MARCH-19 APRIL 2019

This thread will continue daily until we decide that nest activities require the 2019 DAILY UPDATE to commence :)

Trying posted first live stream snap of 2019:

Nota bene - NO GLARE !!!

Not to be outdone (even tho she was) Scylla poked her nose in - what a shame that it shows how much better the VLC picture is, compared to (her) screen-capture:

No nest activities yet seen, it really is too bad !!! ;-D

YOUTUBE LIVE STREAM - opens in new tab/window

WATCH ON CARNYX.TV - opens in new tab/window

VLC LINK - Copy & Paste into "Open Network Stream"

http://carnyxlive.co.uk:1935/.../playlist.m3u8

• A very Happy Birthday to you, Henry

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Thank you for posting what I should have thought of looking for myself, BIRDIE ;)))

I've done a playlist for the males seen on the nest between 1st and 16th April, just in case anyone wants or has time to watch thru for IDs ;)

• I wish "G" no harm and for him to return elsewhere!

I do not wish to see him as the successor to this nest especially when I think of Ollie, Henry & Odin for they were worthy males. I cannot and will never take to him especially in light of how he treated EJ in what was most likely her last season with us.

I truly hope the osprey that landed this morning is not him and if it was then god speed a young, strong handsome male, preferably ringed that will defend and provide for this nest.
  • Is it possible the bird this morning was an offspring of EJ returning to its birthplace? As far as I recall not all her chicks were ringed although I may be wrong.

Just wondering.  We know breeding ospreys return to the same nest site year after year.  Is there any record of an offspring returning to its birthplace to breed?

• Hi Rich
    I believe that there is evidence that male Ospreys prefer to attempt to breed very close to their natal site, whilst females tend to breed further from their natal site - perhaps nature's way of reducing the risk of breeding between siblings / close relatives.
    I recall that in about 2002 or perhaps 2004 there was a ringed male intruder at the LG nest and records showed that he had hatched some years earlier at the nearest nest to LG, so he was trying to breed very close to the site where he was hatched.
    There were also observations of the 'old' male 'Ollie' who was renowned for defending his nest very vigorously against possible intruders, launching himself into the sky to intercept them often before they were visible to the human eye. However on a few occasions a 3rd Osprey would appear and instead of launching himself at them he flew to 'join' the intruder and Ollie and the intruder would eventually circle away together. One theory was that the intruder could have been a chick of Ollie's from a previous year that he recognised and that would not pose a threat. How he could recognise a chick of his that he had last seen in juvenile plumage has yet to be explained...……. but the more we try to understand these birds the more we realise how much we still have to learn.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• From what I can recall there has only been one year when EJ’s chicks were not ringed (due to the bad weather) all of the other chicks did have coloured rings.

Les Carr

• a

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Oh thanks, LIMPY - you've just reminded me that I've got little birds extracted from when I was looking for the male visitor this morning (they caught my attention, no problem, but the osprey completely passed me by and I had to replay the section over and over!).

I'll post later, I'm in pack-up mode yet again, can't keep going very long these days :(

• Thank you for info over the page, CRinger and LES :)
  • Hello everyone, wow an Osprey, but WHO? I have been looking at your clips Scylla and the George thread that was posted and I think it could well be G George, can't see a clip this time of his head and neck or a frontal of the necklace, but mmmm, thinks so. So what now I wonder, duf duf duf!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.