2019 Lake District Osprey Projects - Bassenthwaite; Esthwaite Water; Foulshaw Moss NR & Roudsea Wood and Mosses NR

In the past a lot of the Lake District nests news appear on a thread entitled News from Other Nests, which includes non-UK nests.  I thought it would be easier to find the LD in one place, but if anyone feels this is wrong, or wants individual threads for the four nests - are there more - please let me know and I will either amend or delete.

In 2018 there were six reported nests, with 14 fledged chicks, including 'grandchicks', "the third generation since returning from extinction in 2001".

2018  Bassenthwaite   

31 March  'Bird at nest, unringed, believed to be male!'

?   Unringed pair on the nest

22 April   Believe White KL(09) f  (Loch Arkaig chick) will not return  -  she did not return

2 August   "Although we have no nesting pairs this year, there are signs we could have two nests next year at Lake Bassenthwaite!

Second nest?    "The site you are referring to was not knocked down, we monitored an osprey (Blue 2H(13)m  born in Kielder 2013) building it last year and after the heavy storms in early spring 2017 much of this nest was blown away, although the tree is still to this very day standing."   

"Kielder hatched Blue 2H(13)m returned spring 2018, he continued to build and add onto the very same tree, however he was also without a partner for much of the season so no breeding took place.  The tree itself is quite rotten and we fear unsafe for future use, a new nest platform will be erected in the same area before the next osprey breeding season in 2019 and we hope that it will be used by the birds instead."

2018 Esthwaite Water – three nests, two of which were occupied. 

Main nest pair:  Blue 7A(14) m  Ozzy  & Unringed f  Olive  

Chicks ringed 10 July  Blue 283(18) f;   Blue 284(18) m;  Blue 285(18) m

Another nest on private land:   Blue 292(18) m;  Blue 293(18) f;  Blue 294(18) m

2018 Roudsea Wood   Pair  White YC(08) m (Glaslyn chick) and unringed female

Blue 280(18) m;                  Blue 281(18) f                 Blue 282(18) m

2018 Foulshaw Moss   Pair  Blue 35(10) f  (Splash)   and  White YW(08) m    Year 5 together, 14 chicks to 2018

Ringed 30 June 2018    Blue 5N(18) m;  Blue 7N(18) m  - thought to be male;   Blue 9N(18) f    NB 6N ring was broken on ringing day, so ring Blue 9N was used instead

Blue 7N(18) m was thought to have been seen in southern Spain November 2018

Job opportunity at Forestry Commission, Dodd Wood/Linwatter Pass for an Information Assistant (Osprey)

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Another feed with a different fish so YW must have delivered.  Pretty much the same as last time, #2 took what looked like a particularly bad beating, and I thought I can't watch anymore. Suddenly #2 lifted it's head and walked round the back of #1 and moved to the other side and #1 moved away, chick #2 has had a good lot of fish.

Earlier #2 takes a beating

#2 lifts head

Sneaks round the back of #1

Success at last, probably as chick #1 was full.

Proof #2 had a good feed

© Cumbria Wildlife Trust

• Looks dry and sunny this morning Hope it last 35 preening whilst can just see chicks bottoms poking out
  • Watched No2 getting a good pecking from No1 earlier and not getting any food. I have since seen 2 good feeds for No2. 

No2 seems to be learning to stay back, letting No1 eat it's fill, and then moving in and eating as much as it wants. 

© Cumbria Wildlife trust

Richard B

• Think YW is getting a telling off, just arrived on the nest minus a fish!

© Cumbria Wildlife trust

• 35 just got up and #1 has one bash at its sibling who, sensibly hits the deck and #1 curls up nest to it
    Not sure whether 35 has gone to stretch her wings or is on the nest out of camera shot Remains dry and sunny
    Repeat scenario of above
  • 35 feeding the #1 just now.    #2 has its head down    

Looks like we have a bit of bullying going on here.   #2 raised its head and immediately attacked by#1 

08:11 cam zoomed in - #2 can't lift its head but #1 is attacking it :-(   Really horrible for it has been fed!

08:14  #1 lying down but #2 remains in submission

08:15   This is not nice!!     35 moves forward to feed #2 who gets it beak up but she can't reach.   Then once more #1 attacks it not allowing it to be fed

(c)  Cumbria Wildlife Trust  - Foulshaw Moss Ospreys

08:17   35 feeds #1 again who is standing over #2 not allowing it up.   #1 is full and not taking any more and once more lies down.   #2 remains in submission.

08:21  #2 moves it head but again #1 pecks not allowing it up.    

08:26 #2 tried to get up and got another beating from #1.  

I am not sure if there is a food shortage here but definitely feeding problems. 

• 35 has another fish and once more feeding #1.  

#2 in submission and #1 attacks the moment it moves 

There is fish available but unfortunately #1 just will not let #2 get fed!   

#1 is now chasing #2 who is in submission and doing nothing wrong, away from the fish

35 moves forward with the fish and continues to feed #1.  Hopefully she can stuff it into a comotised state that #2 can get fed!

#2 moves and once more attacked.     

08:57  #2 has now got up and 35 feeds it

and then #1 pounces on it and another beating

(c) Cumbria Wildlife 

35 is standing with the fish but now starts cleaning up.

This is horrible, #1 has just beating #2 again just for moving.   

Unfortunately #1 appears to be an aggressive chick but hopefully this will stop soon.    Look back later and hopefully read of better news here.

• That chick is very aggressive Karen, I was really worried for little bob on Saturday.
  • Starling, I cannot watch anymore for #1 is just not laying off even though it has been fed which is alarming. Definite issues here. 

• YW is now feeding on the net and offers fish to #1

#2 gets its head up 

#1 gets up and stands behind #2

and soon #1 attacks it and its down again.   

#2 back up and now getting some fish from YW

#2 got a couple of bits and then #1 got up and attacked it.

(c)  Cumbria Wildlife Trust

#2 hasn't had much but at least a little something!   

It has its head up again but the fish is finished and again attacked.