Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 January 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Don't miss the Total Lunar Eclipse on Sunday night/Monday morning. The moon will be especially close to earth, a so-called supermoon, so the eclipse should be a beautiful sight. Totality (the "blood" moon) begins at:

4:41 a.m. Monday morning in the U.K. 

11:41 p.m. Sunday night in the eastern U.S.

10:41 p.m. Sunday night in Iowa

8:41 p.m. Sunday night in California

Totality (the "blood" moon) will last 62 minutes. The duration of the entire eclipse from beginning to end is 5 hours, 12 minutes. The eclipse is visible in the U.K. and the U.S. Sorry, AQ, not in Australia. 

• Lindybird: I'm not very organized when it comes to planning meals (unlike OG!). I am trying some different recipes this year, but OH isn't too adventuresome, while I'm happy to graze my way through the days.... Good to read that G is doing a little better.

Heather: The world gets smaller all the time. I love it, but the Egypt to Elgin dinner raises the bar quite a bit.  I'm going to have to be in the mood to tackle the parkway irrigation.

Diane: Stay warm dearie.

• It's HOT. At 46.3 C (that's over 115 F) Adelaide city has passed record set in 1939. Here near beach it is a mere 45.7. Humidity 10%.

I just made up a new salad - potato, bacon, onion, gherkin, sweet corn & feta cheese.

• AQ: That is ghastly! Are you sure you haven't fallen into...heck? Seriously, don't try to do anything in that heat. Just sit in the AC in front of a fan and watch TV or read or listen to audible books or knit. Stay safe. I hope you won't be threatened by fire. I'll try to send you more cold. 

• Agree with Diane, that's ghastly, AQ. Keep safe. You could get ill. And there could be fatalities I'm sure, in such temps. How awful.

bjane, you are wonderful for taking good care of the feral cat.

Hope all in the UK, and Diane, are keeping warm!

• DIANE & LINDA – Don’t fret, I have done little all day, except read, drink water, read, get various salads for lunch & tea, read. I only went outside once when the sheets covering my tomatoes blew off. The sun was vicious while I replaced sheets & pegs. “Cool” change (31 C) due tomorrow morn. Another hot night first. Last night temp didn’t drop below 28 C. Fingers crossed we have no power outages, or fires. Tasmania has about 30 fires out of control in wilderness areas; some burning since Cmas.

OH filled the bird bath with water from the fridge. Now he has the sprinkler aimed at the abelia so the wee birds can have a shower among the leaves.

New salad was a success. OH had seconds.

• Hello, from OG.

Update from us - myself getting rid of a bad cold - hardly saw anyone, so how I got it we can't imagine!  J was going back to work this week, but on doc's advice is making it a "phased return" - part time working for a few weeks to suit employer's needs.  Was to have been off for pre-op at eye clinic today - was postponed late yesterday afternoon, so is in work this afternoon and will be off next Tuesday instead.  Seems to be coping okay.  E-E very busy as usual and after download (yes, windows 10 upgrade again!) has lost all his default settings!)  My PC is okay - how can two identical machines perform so differently?

Had a nice surprise this morning - at least five Long Tail Tits in the Willow Tree this morning - after 15 years complaining that we don't get them here!  Beautiful.

Thanks for all your news everyone!

• AQ;   OMG. Those are Las Vegas, Phoenix, Death Valley temps - and with such low humidity?Hope no winds are forecast with that heat.  :-(   

OG: Great to hear from you.  Interesting about the Long Tail Tits. I wonder what changed...  Do hope J's eye op doesn't get postponed again and that he continues to do well with the change in meds dose

Somehow got my oatmeal measurements backward this morning with the result that I have a great stodgy mess that would sink a battleship.  Am picking out the cran-raspberries before I dispose of the concoction.  

• Not the op yet, Annette, just an extra session of measurements because so much time had been allowed to elapse!  Provisional date for surgery is next month!

• Nice to hear from OG, and at the same time sorry to hear that she's had a bad cold. Take care that it doesn't go on your chest, OG. Good that J is going to be able to get back to work gradually. Hope his future appointments don't get changed again. How lovely about the long tailed tits!

AQ - You must feel weary having such high temps for so long, I have fingers crossed for you that it cools down some more, soon. Glad you're not doing much!

I got my haircut this morning, and did some banking errands, too, whilst in the town. This afternoon went to see my Friend G and we chatted about our families. She's hoping to manage to walk as far as their local pub, only a few yards away,  for a Burns Night special meal tomorrow.

• Temp may be only 30 C today but it has been unpleasantly sticky. I didn’t sleep much last night; it was 28+ all night. Today OH went out to lunch - he said there were only 2 tables in his restaurant. I have just picked and buried 2 dozen tomatoes, all sunburnt despite my covers.

LINDA  it will cool down briefly this weekend, rising to 38 for nanny duty <sigh>