Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 January 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!  I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Bison deciding which road to take in Yellowstone National Park

National Park Service/Jim Peaco, photo labeled "Public domain" (copyright free)

• Hey Diane:  How about those bison taking the road less traveled?  Thank YOU again for the New Week and the lovely photo.

Heather: Diane explained the furlough in greater detail than I.  I can barely stand to think about it. Got an e-mail from a former colleague in Maryland saying his family is fine but they have friends who aren't.   

Had a lovely sunny and magnificently puffy clouds day and went off to gym (which was packed coz they offered a cheapo special for the month of January so the whole world was there, plus it was basketball camp for kiddies so loads of kids and parents too) then back home to start pruning back the roses. Am halfway through the Cecile Brunner.....  Back inside now; the sun is well over the yardarm and you know what that means....  Plus I think we're in for a spectacular sunset....all the clouds are aglow....

• Annette: I hope your toe is better tonight!

• Diane:  In the greater scheme of things, a sore toe is almost too puny to mention!   But now that you mention it...... it's still on the end of my foot.  :-))

I've been plodding through very early photos, scanning, doing some minor editing and labeling them as I go.  Only multiple more decades to go.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

• I’ve been out to pick today’s tomato crop, one small apricot sized, already cooked. <sigh>

Nanny duty tomorrow morn while Dau at dentist. I shall tease Dau that nannies have a “hot weather” policy - no nanny duty if temp above my max of 28 <grin>

Another “Slow TV” tonight. 3 hours on a boat between Broome & Darwin. I enjoyed the Ghan train last year and the Indian Pacific train last week.

• Good Morning, and thank you to Diane for starting us off again.

The position of all those in Government employ doesn't bear thinking about: we've been shown short clips of those who are without pay, and wondering how long they can cope.

AQ - Hope it not too hot for your Nanny duty. Do the little ones get more sleepy when it's such high temps?

Heather, hope the hand isn't too painful. It would drive me crazy being hampered by a splint.

Hoping for a "day off" here today, and going off for a coffee in our favourite garden centre.

• Forgot to say, Diane they're gorgeous bison!

• Thank you DIANE!

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the garden centre, LINDY. 

ANNETTE/DIANE - I have heard the reports about others affected by the shut down. Just dreadful and I can't work out why a wall would cure everything. The French built the Maginot Line before WW 2 and how successful was that? Where there is a will/wall there's a way...

AQ- Sorry about the tomato :-(  I'm trying to imagine where you could grow them in such heat. 

LYNETTE- hope that your new micro and kettle behave themselves! I'm always bemused when staying with Danish friends. They have new windows, new doors, new car etc Their kettle is in a terrible state because of hard water, can't even raise the lid to fill it properly! 

I've seen that OG has been on Facebook so assuming that things at home are not too bad. Sending fond thoughts to them x

• Heather:  Then there was the Great Wall of China - and Hadrian's Wall (not sure how either of them worked out in the short term).   The Orange Menace was down at the border a day or so ago and sat through a presentation by one Border Control officer who showed him pictures of a wall ("very near to where we are sitting") and a tunnel going under it.  One such tunnel was discovered to include electricity and tracks to easily move stuff (guns and drugs, one assumes; don't think it was South Americans).  So yes, where there's a wall, there's a way.  As it happens, one "slatted fence" version has been found to be vulnerable to plain old household saws....    I think OG has to work up to getting on the thread.  It's been so darn frustrating for her.   That is so funny about your Danish friends.  Maybe you could buy them a new kettle next time you visit as a thank you gift, although the husband may not appreciate it given his apparent rigidity on certain points. 

AQ: My sympathies too about the tomato.  They've been roasting on the vine for the last couple of years, right?  Hope your daughter will organize cooler temps for nanny duty.  :-)

• I can’t believe this is that simple ..

duke and Daisy enjoying the fire Two heartsFeetFire