The Poole Harbour Translocation Thread for 2019 - 2020

I thought I'd start a new thread ready for this years relocation, which is year 3.  Along with news of any sightings of the Translocated Ospreys from the first 2 years of the project

Carried on from last years thread HERE

Richard B

• Thanks, Richard. I seem to remember that over half of last year's chicks were male so I wondered if a similar ratio applied in 2017. Might be logical because, of course, it is the males who are most likely to return to the area they think of as home, so perhaps it is the quickest way to establish a local 'colony'.

Kind regards, Ann

• The thing that stands out is that CJ7. the female, is yet another Rutland bird.
    They get everywhere.
    To me it seems that the Rutland relocation project has been the catalyst for the spread of Ospreys in the UK.
    What a success it has been so far.

Richard B

• I have begun to think that you need more females. After all less of them return so in order to get a balance you need more females.

Rutland has always had a problem of too many males.
  • Yes, Richard, I agree. Many thanks to Roy Dennis and the crew who translocated Scottish birds to Rutland and to all of the staff and volunteers there over the years--long live the Rutland dynasty and its spread across the UK and various bits of the rest of Europe! Can't wait until there is an active nest near Poole Harbour. But unfortunately, there is currently some trouble on the Glaslyn nest (the male has been missing since late yesterday morning having flown off after 2 intruders), thanks to a couple descendants of the Rutland dynasty, Dyfi's Rutland female 5F and Dyfi's male Z1, Tegid, son of another Rutland female, Blue 12, Glesni. Such is one of the effects of successful Osprey conservation. With luck, it should be many years before Poole has a similar problem!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks, Tiger. Interesting thought. Many (well, some!) Rutland females have been seen around the country but is it known how many Rutland-born females are nesting or have nested in the Rutland area?

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Thanks, Tiger. Interesting thought. Many (well, some!) Rutland females have been seen around the country but is it known how many Rutland-born females are nesting or have nested in the Rutland area?

Very few females have joined the Rutland community.

I can think of only 3

1. Maya

2. Bird from Argyll

3. Mrs 3 (97)

Lots of Rutland born females have left. 

• Hopefully Aran will return soon, but at least the chicks are big enough to be left if / when Mrs G goes fishing.

Richard B

• Tiger, Do you then mean to say that all of the other females (except for the 3 in your comment) who are nesting at/near Rutland are Rutland-hatched birds? If so, surely Roy and Tim and the others in the Poole project would see this as well, particularly because they would presumably hope, in time, to add to the number of Poole-fledged females who might then choose to nest up at Rutland as well as elsewhere. What are the chances that this year's Ospreys destined for Poole will be half males and half females?

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Tiger, Do you then mean to say that all of the other females (except for the 3 in your comment) who are nesting at/near Rutland are Rutland-hatched birds? If so, surely Roy and Tim and the others in the Poole project would see this as well, particularly because they would presumably hope, in time, to add to the number of Poole-fledged females who might then choose to nest up at Rutland as well as elsewhere. What are the chances that this year's Ospreys destined for Poole will be half males and half females?

As I understand it that is true. Rutland now has eight unpaired males. How much of a waste is that?

You best ask Roy and Tim that. 

• Hazel b said:

Very few females have joined the Rutland community.

I can think of only 3

1. Maya

2. Bird from Argyll

3. Mrs 3 (97)

Lots of Rutland born females have left. 

I can only think of 1 more, the first ever partner of 03(97) who reared the first Rutland Chick with him in 2001. I was also never quite sure if Green DE(05) "from the Tweed Valley" was the same bird as "The female Osprey from Argyll"