RUTLAND OSPREY PROJECT 2019

32(11) seen this morning in Senegal

• Just noticed this tweet from River Gwash  

Tweet:

A satellite tracked bird fishing .........  could this be 30(05) back?

• Alan - What a brill photo of Wonky Wing taken this morning by Gary Jones. Thank you for the link!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Blue 01(09) m and Blue 11(10)m have both been photographed by Gary Jones at Gwash River Ospreys.  Given that Sandra reported on 23 March Green 5N(04)f has returned we have another pair (Blue 01(09))

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks Sheila, I have just seen it - what good news and what lovely photos.

So to date there appears to be 12 ospreys we know of that has returned to Rutland Water. These are:

Maya
    Blue 33(11)
    Blue 25(10)
    Blue S6(15)
    Blue 28(10)
    Green 5N(04)
    Blue 00(09)
    Blue 8F
    Blue 06(09)
    Blue 30(10)
    Blue 01(09)
    Blue 11(10)

• There don't seem to be many youngsters amongst all the arrivals.
    Not a very good sign for continued growth, or is more likely that there is nowhere for them to live locally what with all the older birds taking the roosts?

Richard B

• Youngsters tend to return later though Richard, in late April or even May.
  • but where are the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 birds though Alison

Richard B

• Truth is I have no idea! S1 was back in Rutland briefly last year. Maybe as you say there may not be any vacancies in the area at the moment. S2 has adopted The Netherlands as his summer home. As for all the others, I guess only Rutland really know the answers.
  • Hi Richard, there was a similar conversation last week around the very small number of chicks fledged from Loch Garten over the years that are seen again. I am sure I read somewhere that females (or maybe males, hedging my bets!) normally do not return to the area that they fledged from. That makes sense as for any species (not just birds) to thrive the population cannot exceed that which can be maintained by the amount of food that is available. It would therefore be illogical for large populations to try to build up in a relatively small area. I think we also need to remember that the area covered by reserves, hides, webcams or whatever is small compared to the total area of available suitable habitat. I suppose that what I am saying is that (despite the low percentage chance of survival for young birds) I think that there will be many returning birds of all ages that just never get seen by us humans. Ian
  • Many thanks, Everyone, for all of the posts and pics. I seem to have missed the report that Green 5N (Glesni's Mum) has returned and if she has, that would be fabulous news. Please could someone let us know where that information came from? It is also great news that Glesni's brother from the same brood (Blue 11(10)) is also safely back at Rutland (to help continue the family line!)

Kind regards, Ann