Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 January 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

• The people of Mannum, a town on the River Murray, have had several power outages recently. Our Power Gods have announced that 3 were caused by flocks of corellas and one by a vehicle. “You may have also experienced power flickers at dawn or dusk, again this is from bird activity.” Special plans to protect a music festival at Mannum this weekend.

• We get power cuts at least twice a year these days - also the water gets cut off quite often, because of some problems at the pumping station. Last time we got a water cut we got automated phone calls as Diane describes. Hope you don't get more cuts in that freezing weather, Diane :-(  AQ, you sound as if you have more exotic excuses for your cuts!

Hope all goes well with J for OG and EE. A worrying time. 

It's been cold here, a heavy frost yesterday morning and a really chilly wind. Time to wrap up with hats, scarves and gloves. I've had toothache in a tooth which is already crowned, do hope I don't lose the tooth. Waiting to see the dentist in a week or two, as it's not urgent.

My Friend G has been very unwell this week but we're all hoping she'll pick up soon.

• LINDY - I'm sorry that G has been so unwell. Hoping that things will improve for her x

Well my plaster cast is off but I've now got a custom made splint which should keep the hand/ fingers in place. At least I can take it off for showering, kitchen work and typing. 

I'll be back later, 

• That's good news of a kind, about your plaster cast Heather:  they must be difficult to cope with. (I've never had one).

Its been so foggy and damp here that some people were walking around with umbrellas, even though there was no visible rain - its been a bit like walking around inside a cloud!  At least my short haircut doesn't completely collapse when it gets soaked!

We had some news at Christmas which I have been "sitting on" to await developments -- our Youngest and wife are expecting again, a brother or sister for Tomasz and Matthew. Due, if all is well, in around July.  We are in shock. We had once upon a time decided that we would never be grandparents, and now it looks as if we will have four grandchildren! 

• Heather:  Sounds like a bigger deal than you described!  How long before the splint comes off?

Lindybird: Oh my - so, congratulations?  I'm voting for a girl; they're so much more fun to shop for....

AQ:  Pesky corellas!  I wonder what they do that causes flickering.....or are they just getting the blame (no corella spokespersons disputing the Power Gods' claim on News Hour I take it)?  :-)    One of our West Coast power companies is in big trouble over the fire in Paradise, which investigators are now saying was caused by carelessness and insufficient maintenance (or something like that) of equipment.  There have been rumors of murder charges....    Meanwhile, our local company is beginning to shut off service under those weather conditions (high dry winds) so conducive to fire.  It doesn't help that so much of our infrastructure is high in the hills and desolate interior areas, which makes it even more dangerous when something goes wrong (pylons, cables being blown down, etc).   

• Lindy: We live on a hill and accustomed to being in a cloud  when everyone else says it is Fog we are well accustomed to it.  May possibly have news soon on my B12 problems, positively, just got to try another couple of days to see progress - sorry for the NHS system which I admire but leaves many people out of the loop.

• Rats I had to sign in and lost whole post. briefly I may be on top of B12 situation but only time will tell.

• Lindy: We live on a hill and accustomed to being in a cloud  when everyone else says it is Fog we are well accustomed to it.  May possibly have news soon on my B12 problems, positively, just got to try another couple of days to see progress - sorry for the NHS system which I admire but leaves many people out of the loop.

• FB - I see you've been posting several times, thinking you've lost your post. Sometimes posts go to the bottom of the page but later, pop up at the top again. Glad there seems to be progress on your B12 problems, which I think have been a nuisance for you for a while now. Hope your wife is well. At least (fingers crossed) you may not get snowed in this year.

Annette, I find I'm hoping for a little girl to spoil. I'm sure my counterpart, our d.in.laws mother, would love a granddaughter, as she has no other grandchildren. 

I've bought a new suitcase in the Sales, as one of ours had a broken zip after the last trip. My OH looked at the new one and said "Oh, it's very big!!" But I pointed out that we take large beach towels on our Canaries holidays, which take up a lot of room. I didn't say that there's also got to be room for plenty of shoes, LOL!

• ANNETTE – The corellas chew the wires and connections. They eat anything!

I am trying to decide whether to follow my plan for the day – visit to wool shop seeking few balls of a particular colour (not many real wool shops around anymore), library book top-up & camera outing. There is a church I want to capture inside and it is only open for Mass Sat eve or Friday noon. After few cool mid 20s days, temp expected to be 39 C but worse next week, so I should drag myself out.