Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 December 2018

Well, we've nearly completed another stable orbit around our sun. Happy New Year! I hope 2019 is a good year for everyone.

Old Faithful Geyser Eruption and the Milky Way, Yellowstone National Park USA. NPS/Neal Herbert, photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free).

• PatO;  What a pain about the cruise company insisting on a visa; probably some liability issue for them.  Oh well......    We'll look forward to hearing from you when you get back in - gasp! - May!

• I'm constantly having to sign in but anyway... got my left hand done, now it is in a plaster cast until next week. so instead of two finger typing, it is just one! 

• OH decided to go out to lunch Thurs; shops & businesses are back at work. Normally we have a half hour bus service. He waited over ¾ hour in 42 C heat and no bus. He came home & raided the fridge for leftovers. Later we learnt that this week the Powers-That-Be decided to run buses on a holiday schedule, once an hour and times completely unlike “normal”. Much anger at bus stops & on social media.

Today is lovely, mid 20s. I should dash about and cleaning etc before the next heatwave.

• I wonder why I have different fonts sizes? This site is driving me crazy.

• Good morning all  - the weather here in Suffolk is dry and very still, despite the papers talking hourly about the imminent  Sudden Stratospheric Warming which will bring another Beast from the East. Yesterday morning it was 0 degrees but I forced myself to go on an organised 3.5mile walk around Dunwich Heath and we all warmed up quickly. In the late summer it is a blanket of colourful heather. To cheer us up someone had put wooden models of all of the Reindeer along the route.

Re Crows - in my old house I too used to feed a couple of crows and every year they brought the new family to meet me. They could spot me in the kitchen even without me putting the light on and would all land on the fence creeping nearer and nearer the window to get my attention.:)

Off to get shopping then am off to look at the final consultation plans for the new proposed 3rd Nuclear Power Plant at Sizewell - just 2 miles from my house - it could still be years away even if it gets approval. I can see both sides of the argument but it is a very hot topic I know.

Have a good weekend all.

• Hi!  OG again!  A grey day out there, and I have decided not to try to drag my painful right leg into the car – hoping to keep it bearable to collect my glasses on Monday which are now ready with their new post-cataract lenses.  Have sent E-E to M&S food – hopefully he will find everything on the list.  He cooked an excellent mixed grill last evening.  J is going to Carlisle centre by train to collect an order.

J had a first visit to Neurology yesterday in Dumfries, as recommended by his Christie consultant.  He has agreed with the epilepsy diagnosis and upped the meds again; he will be monitored there as well as Manchester.  With persistent phone calls, he also has a (so-far provisional) surgery date in February for his eye-op – waited about two years!

Heather – pleased first hand is done – how long to recover before second?  I hope the cold will not hang around too long – but I guess that shows you had better contact time with Bella, rather than being screamed at as before!

Alan – thanks for advice re getting back to the thread.  When I discover how to get an additional email, I shall try that!  (Although I don’t see why that should be necessary!)

AQ – bus shuffling must have made things very difficult for your OH!  I hope you will both enjoy the cooler days for a while!

Harelady - pleased you enjoyed the walk.  I didn’t realise that Sizewell C is still at discussion stage!  (There was only one when we lived down that way!)

Just had a mixed flock of Tits flitting about and feeding in the Willow tree – love them.

• Well, I guess this will be my final post before I leave in a couple of hours.  If you would like to see where I am, you can track 'Columbus' online.

Hope everyone stays fit and healthy, and I look forward to catching up with you all in May.  Hope to find EJ as part of the group by then.