Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 December 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful week!

This is not a wildlife video, but I'm posting a LINK because it made me laugh so hard and I thought everyone could use a good laugh. The donkey is in Galway, Ireland. This is how she greets a regular visitor who brings her treats. (The video is from a mainstream news network and is safe. It's less than a minute.)

Have a good week, all!

• PAT - I agree that your friend needs to find out what is causing her distressing symptoms. At the very least, she must ask her GP what he thinks is wrong. 

My roofer arrived this morning, looked at the slipped tile and said he would be back later with a ladder and another man. Watch this space...

• PatO: Yes, well, my sister has a condition that it took three hospital visits to diagnose.....  Not to be too cynical, but I sometimes think older people's ailments get dismissed a bit too easily as part and parcel of their age with no "need" to sort out.  I have another book I've just started (not that you need another one at this point): It's The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware.  It's a mystery, but no blood or guts and it thankfully has only about 6 main characters, all of whom are present and accounted for throughout the tale.  There is a very occasional brief italicized section that provides a perspective on the main plot, but nothing that throws you off track.  I gather Ware also wrote The Woman in Cabin 10, which I haven't read but intend to.

Heather/Lindybird: Hope roof tiles and leaks get sorted without spending too many $$$s.

I'm wondering why Forestboar's recent post was single-spaced and much darker than usual.  The type was still too big though....

• Annette: Because I pressed a button in posting and could not get it back - tried 3 times and gave up. Will play later when I have time. Oh don't know why this came out 'normal'

• Annette:  Not sure about reading about a possible murder (The Woman in Cabin 10) while on a cruise ship would be seen as entertainment as I look out at nothing but sea!   I'm inclined to agree with you about older people's ailments not being taken seriously, although I haven't (so far!) experienced that myself.  Must be because I'm not 'older' (older than what, I ask myself????) - or perhaps I've just been lucky!  I have sent your link to my friend, but haven't heard back from her yet.

Beginning to panic now.  Having problems with a couple of visas - but to balance that, got a lovely lady in the car registration office who gave me the answers I need in about ten seconds, and then wanted to join me!  If only all government departments were so helpful and pleasant to deal with.  Tomorrow I must try the car insurance company - bet that's not so easy! 

• PatO:  Haha - I didn't connect the dots with that book!   Hope you've got some help (travel agent??) with the visa problems.  

Forestboar:  Interesting, but who can fathom what goes on with coding.

Check out CNN first thing, which was streaming May's and Corbyn's speeches re the Brexit vote (was going to say "shambles" but we have our own major shambles going on here). Daren't go to the loo in case I miss even more Breaking News.  :-)

• Trying to remember what I wrote in my post, before..... gah.  No visit nor message from our roofer guy. My OH got cross and said 'Well, I'm not ringing him again!"  Then he reached out over our roof from the bedroom window (a dormer in our bungalow) with a big mallet in his hand - he flattened some of the lead flashing which he'd seen was dislodged. I wondered afterwards if it had been damaged by the man who came to fix our tv aerial some weeks ago....

Before we had our guests yesterday, he stuck down the wallpaper in the dining room and then painted over the mess, then when it dried I put my pictures back on the wall. The guests never knew!

Pat, I wrote before that.  >>>>>>>>    I PRESSED "post" HERE FOR FEAR OF LOSING MY POST AGAIN. THEN I CAME BACK AND WROTE ANOTHER PARAGRAPH. THEN I PRESSED "Report" BY ACCIDENT BECAUSE ITS SO TINY ON HERE, THEN I PRESSED "cancel" BY ACCIDENT........just not got the time nor patience to write it all out again for the third time, I replied to Pat this morning. Hate, hate this Site, now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Too many buttons - too many opportunities for error.  Your OH and his mallet made me smile - hope he only bashed the bits that needed bashing.  Your potential roofer sounds like a typical workman these days - they are all saying they want work, but when there's a chance they melt like snow in summer.  Grrrrr

A local travel agent had agreed to help me with my visas.  After two months of inaction they withdrew their agreement because I hadn't booked the cruise with them!  They knew this from the start.  That did not amuse me.  So now I am battling with China and India, and will end up paying a huge amount to a visa agent.  Double Grrrrrr.

It's not been a good day - or wasn't, until I spoke to a lovely lady at DVLA to ask what I needed to do about my car tax while I'm away.  She answered me in a few seconds - everything I needed to know - and then asked me where I was going.  When I told her I had yet another offer to come and carry my bags!  I could take a whole regiment of people who want to 'help' me!!!  The DVLA lady certainly balanced out the rest of the day.

• Diane-Loved the donkey and her serenade! Thanks for the link.

Pat- I am assuming your friend's doctor checked for wax in the ear which can cause both pain and deafness.

• For our American friends, I have just come across this item about the Audubon Society’s Christmas Bird Count, details here