Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 2 December 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Everyone have a wonderful and peaceful week!

• Hope you haven't got too much water coming in, LINDY x

• Greetings Everyone.  FYI--I've just  noticed a new thread titled 'Community Downtime'.  The RSPB are doing some essential work between midnight tonight and 10am Tuesday UK time (GMT) and the community will be inaccessible during that time.

Kind regards, Ann

• Gardenbirder: Thank you for the heads up about the site (wonder if "essential work" means tweaking the redesign.   :-))

I saw the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket go up this morning, quite serendipitously.  I was driving and saw the wiggly contrail, looked higher and spotted the red glow of the rocket as it disappeared into the blue.  Pulled over and 10 minutes later, saw the red glow again as the first stage come back down to earth accompanied by great rumbling sonic booms that rolled around the sky for more than a minute.  This is the third time SpaceX has used the same rocket!  Amazing!

Hi to Lindybird, Heather and anyone else who stops by before the stroke of midnight (UK time).

• Annettte: Woo Hoo! Glad you were able to see it (and hear it)! Good timing!

Gardenbirder: Thanks for the info. Hope you're well. 

• Thanks, Gardenbirder.  Annette:  How lucky that you were able to spot it.  

Heather: We investigated, and although the wallpaper is coming off the wall slightly, the bulge was empty! But there must be damp there, to cause it. My OH can't see anything wrong on the roof. It's a bit of a mystery.

Spent an hour on the pc, looking at books for the grandchildren and then spending about twice as much as I planned originally.

• Wow, Annette, how amazing and exciting.  I'm sure that's a sight and sound you'll never forget.  Sunny and cold here this morning - I really should have gone and played golf, instead of sitting indoors looking at it.

They completed the maintenance right on time - congratulations to the techies.

• We're back!  Forgot about the site being down, and found it offline this morning. Now I'm wondering what's new!

Had our first real frost this morning, and a misty view over the fields which was like a painting.  Now the sun is out and it's clearing up. I'm off out on errands, will also begin to post Christmas.cards.

• Morning all: Well I see the type is still big and pale and there's still a lot of white space.  Still, we're back and as PatO says, good for the techies.

Lindybird: Mystery bulges eh?  Could it be from old leaks that dried out?   I know what you mean about spending more than planned. I'm looking at world globes online for Ms. D and there doesn't seem to be much (at least with good reviews)I like between the plain vanilla ones and the super-duper interactive one that costs an arm and a leg. 

PatO:  A couple of months ago, the last time SpaceX launched from Vandenberg, I drove up (with the rest of the population!) to the base and watched the same thing from just about 4 miles away.  That was really breathtaking.

Granddaughter and her on-again partner are en route home to Phoenix, Arizona, from a long weekend in Florida (one of the reasons they went was to see a football game!  Seems like an awfully long way to go for a football game but nobody asked me!) and are currently over Las Cruces, New Mexico.  You can track flights in real time on FlightRadar24 - just fascinating and makes you realize just how busy our skies are.

The neighbors have put up Xmas lights already.  I'm not sure how motivated I am this year, but should hang a strand here or there I suppose.   

I hope we see OG on here again soon.  I miss her.  And has Rosy been back on since the change?  Who else?  

• Hey, Annette. I don't know how much you want to spend (and it's none of my business LOL), but National Geographic online has literally hundreds of globes, maps, and atlases. Here is a link. Read through the menus on the left on every page, because they have items divided sort of oddly. Also, when you get to the end of a page of items, you'll need to click to the next page. Many years ago, I bought an inexpensive bird migration map from them, and I loved it.

(Hope I haven't broken any forum rules by mentioning them, but people talk about brand names for cameras and other equipment all the time. I have no financial interest in National Geographic. I have no financial interests at all, unfortunately. LOL)

EDIT: You can also click on KIDS in the menu at the top to find kids' gifts. 

• Sorry I've not had much time for replies - your exciting spotting of the launch must have been memorable, Annette.

My OH came with me to visit our Friend G and her OH. Their cottage is now resplendent with decorations, thanks to the efforts of their daughter. We talked of many things, and then we invited them over for a meal with us next weekend.