Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 September 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Also, HAPPY EQUINOX and HAPPY FULL HARVEST MOON! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful new season. 

Full Moon at Turret Arch, Arches National Park, Utah USA
U.S. National Park Service photo
Credit: NPS/Neal Herbert
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright-free)

• PatO:  Welcome home.  Too bad about the Hermitage crowds, but it seems to be par for the course. Niece, who visited NY for three days after her visit with us, says that the Museum of Modern Art in New York was jam packed when she went, as was, apparently, the entire city.

Heather: Let's hope SiL isn't expecting you to help pay for all that dental work.

Hallo to everyone else - stuff to catch up on here.

• Ha, ANNETTE! I'm sure that won't be the case.......

I'm ashamed to say that I'm in my bed. Windy outside, no point in staying up. Thankfully my Welsh friend is also tucked up, she has just messaged me!

• Looks like I am the early morning shift – after getting up 6:30 coughing and spluttering – don’t know why, but it’s taken a long time to breathe normally and get enough energy to do anything!  Did enjoy a good hot cross bun for breakfast – normally object to them at wrong time of year, but this was not just a hot cross bun .. leave you to complete the advertising line !

Wet and windy evening and night – improving now.

Welcome back, Pat.  Apart from the weather and Hermitage overcrowding, sounds like a good trip.  Looking forward to hearing more!

Annette – sorry, I keep missing details – hadn’t realised your niece was spending time in NY before flying home!

Heather – don’t know how an insomniac can bear to spend all that time in bed, but maybe you get up through the night when you go to bed so early.  When I had so much trouble when I woke up, I wished I could have got up at 5 am as I was so bright and cheery at that time!  But then I wouldn’t have lasted the day!

Another thing I don’t understand: how can our Son be able to leave at 8:40 to graze breakfast, brunch and lunch in junk food outlets on his day off, when he can’t manage to leave the house before 8:55 on a work day (work starts at 9:00)!  Rhetorical question!

We really must get busy now – lots of little loose ends to fill the day!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Oh dear, OG! I have to confess that I had not gone to bed to attempt sleep - I was sitting there with the TV, radio, a hot drink, my current book, landline and mobile phone and Kindles beside me! All the sleep hygiene rules are disregarded by me. I'm so used to poor sleep patterns after years of night shifts that I can't be bothered to do anything much to improve it. I think that you maybe see the bedroom as just a place to sleep - I'm just a bit different! My Welsh friend tells me that she does the same as me since she was widowed.

Even more - I have a recliner chair in the bay window of the bedroom and a wee table beside it. I sit there and watch TV etc. Feels cosy :-)
  • So that's me told!

• Oh heck, OG! Sorry if I seemed defensive. Not my intention!

• WWT Caerlaverock

1 hr ·

They're back! We have 2,500 barnacle geese on the reserve this morning!

• Sorry that you had a poor start to the day, OG. I like those hot cross buns - friend and I demolished a packet of the mini ones while she was here.

Welcome home, PAT!

• Heather - I'm on your side!  As a fellow insomniac and member of the World Service Appreciation Society, I go to bed as early as I can on evenings when I don't have a meeting or something I really have to do.  Sometimes I read, sometimes I just listen to the radio - I don't have a television in the bedroom.  I did much the same on holiday, and was then told in the mornings that I had missed a 'really good' or sometimes 'really bad' show.  I'm sure I was more comfortable curled up in my comfortable bed with a book.  The one thing I missed was my radio - no World Service!

Almost cleared the inbox.  Now need to check the bank and pay some bills.  Hope to get back later ...

• Our Danish friends call the bedroom 'the sleeping room' and wouldn't dream of spending time there reading, etc. We are all different. Even as a child, my bedroom was a kind of sanctuary, loads of books etc. I never had to be encouraged to go to bed! Some of my family are the same- but not all of them.

It is very mild here today but quite dull. I intended to go for a walk but changed my mind.

OG- Callum is much the same as J! He leaves for work at the last minute but can leave home on a weekend morning at silly o'clock to pursue some activity/journey.

Remember when we were discussing breakfasts, the other week? There was a programme on the WS radio last night talking about that very thing. Seems that, worldwide, folk tend to eat the same thing for breakfast each day according to local custom, etc. Various theories were proposed but I seem to recall, it came down to having to eat something because of hunger, needing to get that meal out of the way in order to start the day and needing to eat something that would sit happily in the stomach at such an early hour.