Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - GLASLYN OSPREYS SEPTEMBER TO END FEBRUARY 2019

Sunday 1st April

Mrs G returns just after 2pm (time to be confirmed)

Thursday 5th April

On two separate occasions, Rutland-born female, Blue 3J, and Scottish male, Blue HR7, visit the nest. HR7 was seen around Glaslyn last year, Mrs G seems comfortable with him and they later mate.

Later in the evening there is an unringed male osprey on the scene, who looks very much like Aran. When he lands on the Glaslyn nest with the remains of a fish there is no mantling and no attempt to share the fish with Mrs G

[This male is later confirmed to be Aran]

Friday 6th April

Aran brings Mrs G a large trout at 11.04am and this year's breeding season begins

Thursday 19th April

Egg #1 laid, 8.58 am

Sunday 22nd April

Egg #2 laid, 10.02 am

Wednesday 25th April

Egg #3 laid, 8.46 am

Friday 25th May

Chick #1 hatches, 9.49 am

Sunday 27th May

Chick #2 hatches, 4.41pm

Tuesday 29th May

Chick #3 hatches, 8.53pm

Monday 2nd July

Ringing 

Chick #1  (F) (38 days)

Darvic ring right leg, Blue/White KS3

BTO ring left leg   No. 1408637 

Weight: over 1500g   Wing: 336mm 

Chick #2   (F) (36 days)

Darvic ring right leg, Blue/White KS1

BTO ring left leg   No. 1408638 

Weight: over 1500g   Wing: 317mm 

Chick #3   (M) (34 days)

Darvic ring right leg, Blue/White KS2

BTO ring left leg  No. 1408639 

Weight: 1460g   Wing: 286mm

Thursday 19th July

Blue KS1 fledges at 6.00am (53 days)

Friday 20th July

Blue KS3 fledges at 6.14pm (56 days)

Saturday 21st July

Blue KS2 fledges 8.07am (52 days)

COURTESY OF CHLOE AND TIGER’S IMAGICAT - THE PLACE TO GO FOR ALL THINGS OSPREY

LINK TO AUGUST

• Unknown said:
    He made the right choice in my view.

Thank you, GB, and I quite agree! :)

Just arrived but I have a lot more catching up to do:

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:

Evening All,  Thanks for the new thread Mary.

Regarding the rings on the Glaslyn chicks--the ringer planned to ring them in age order and the rings were to be KS0, KS1 and KS2.  However after he finished with the youngest chick he noticed that the glue on the ring on the oldest chick, KS0, had not taken for some reason and he had to remove it and start again with a new ring, KS3.  There was no way he was going to re-ring all of the chicks.  That is why the numbers are not in age order and we just must live with it!  He made the right choice in my view.  The less time taken to ring the chicks, the less the stress there is on the chicks and the parents.

I didn't know that Gardenbirder,  thank you so much for the explanation.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• EARLIER

KS1 tired herself out chasing intruders:

But revived on demand ;)

CULPRITS !!!  After her discarded morsels:

KS3 arrived as reinforcement:

Fish for KS3:

MrsG flew off, shortly followed by KS1(?):

KS2 arrives but is driven off by the other two ???, and I'm getting the impression that he is being treated as an intruder - but shall have to check later after a rest ;)

Anyone else watching?  Impressions, please? :)))

IMAGICAT

• I thought I test the stream on my downloader, which would be much more likely to keep it going while I'm 'away' - but what a dang shame!

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, At least now you know!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:

Scylla, At least now you know!

And, we don't want our osplets ending up like Estonian Jaak when his glue failed :o

I've got the distinct impression over the past couple of days that KS2 is not popular with his sisters... but it may be that none of them "likes" either of the others!

I did download the stream for a couple of hours but when it came back online it was the night view with activity only from insects and a slug who crawled up over the 'wall'.

IMAGICAT

• It's pouring with rain:

I've set the stream to download by 2 methods, I do hope that between the 2 of them we'll have early morning activities, even tho I'll be asleep ;)

G'night.

IMAGICAT

• I made a reply with a capture some minutes ago and it wouldn't post and then I discovered that I had to sign in again

A juvie on the nest with a fish shouting at a cheeky corvid on the nest perch but now the corvid has flown

• Will this do Patily. Just caught it.

© GLASLYN OSPREY PROJECT

Seems that Aran brought in a fish but has now flown off with it leaving KS1 with the old one which clearly didn't please her!

• When I looked back at the nest I couldn't quite make out what is happening Aran on the nest with a smaller fish, a larger fish behind him and a juvie on the side of the nest

Aran has flown with the smaller fish which i am guessing is the one the chick had just now and Aran just brought the bigger fish

Oddly after Aran flew the chick walked about the nest and didn't tackle the fish They walked out of the picture and 2 corvids came and started on the fish Before I could capture the cam changed to a youngster on the perch Same one? But now they have flown down to the nest and are holding the fish and just started eating

The pics are from a few minutes ago

Pleased to see some action Other morns I have looked in it has been ENS

Hope captures post now They are from a few minutes ago except for the chick eating

C BGGW