Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 August 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful week!

Bull Moose "Laughing"
Grand Teton National Park 
U.S. National Park Service, NPS/Adams
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright free)

• Hallo All;  Very busy day here.  Will catch up tomorrow (did spot some lovely garden pix though!)   :-)

• Good Morning.  Dry here, and supposed to get a little warmer - I've been feeling cold since the weather changed.

Am packing for our Lake District trip, we leave on Thursday morning for two and a half days away. Looking forward to it, we are booked into what looks a nice Manor House type hotel which I found online.  (This was to make up for the cancelled cruise we should have been on at this time).

• Good morning- LINDY, can't remember, is it special birthday or wedding anniversary? Pretty sure it is one or the other!

• Um......don't tell anyone, but it's a birthday with a zero on the end. I've told my family I'm not ever having any more birthdays after that! Peter Pan, here I come!

• Reading in our newspaper someone’s thoughts on Scotland. “I love the Scottish summer. It’s my favourite day of the year.” Ouch!

• Good morning.  All at “sixes and sevens” here today as J has decided he has a migraine, phoned work and gone back to bed.  He has been stressed since returning to work last week – doesn’t surprise me as he went with the attitude that he would be stressed – I’m sure he is getting worse as time goes by.  OH is working in reverse order to postpone noise to later in the day – ironing is quieter than vacuuming!  Expecting a call from hoist supplier/fitter to say when they can come and fix it, which Motability advised they should do.  Meanwhile, I am without the scooter and we can’t shop for anything bulky with it blocking the boot space – at least my wheelchair is accessible!

Linda – thanks for telling your “Osprey story” – mine began at LG; we were on holiday in Nairn a long time ago, before the present centre was built, and as we passed Boat of Garten on the way home decided to drive up and see what it was all about – and never stopped going back!  Looks like you will get good weather for your special birthday trip.  You don’t say which number precedes the zero – but I shall guess and say 1948 was a very good year!

Korky – thanks – interesting reading.

AQ – whoever wrote that should have been here this year – and summer is returning this week!  And as we always say about Scotland, Ireland and the Lake District in England, our landscapes of Lochs, Lakes and Green nature could not be what they are without rain!  BTW, have you ever read this about the Lake District: there is only one Lake (Bassenthwaite) the others are all Meres, Tarns and Waters ( as in Windermere, Tarn Hows and Ullswater)?  Also, Scotland only has one Lake – Lake of Mentieth (the others are all Lochs) and even that name is debatable!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG:   I agree that 1948 was a very good year! Vintage!  - of course, those of us born around that time were also the first babies born under the new fangled "NHS" and my mother was thrilled to have me in a new Hospital - Luton & Dunstable.  (I have probably said before that I was also cooed over a lot as I was the first girl to be born in a couple of weeks, there, after a run of boys).

Hope that the hoist can be fixed pdq.  Sorry to hear that J is unwell. 

AQ  -- That is such a good saying!

• My laundry is on the line and I've cleaned our bathroom.  So here is the next instalment of our Flower Show day:

This was a garden supposed to illustrate something about how the climate change is affecting how we garden. On this side of the mounds, he had planted things which will stand drained and dry conditions.  Not sure that the white strips going down added anything to the effect!

When you walked around to the reverse side, it was green and verdant.  Nice plants!

The garden next to it was decidedly strange.....  no comment!

Then I fell in love with these "trees" which were entirely artificial - the small plastic leaves moved in the wind and were very pretty, like an autumn day!

Edit:  as you can see, the weather kept clouding over somewhat.  But we stayed dry until we were going back, thank goodness.

• Near the pretty trees was this construction, which we had seen on TV - apparently the hat moves up and down, but we didn't see it working whilst we were there.

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't stop to read the notice which said what it was supposed to be!

This one was nice, and there were crowds of people around it, admiring the planting. Hard to get a pic of it....

To the left of the first picture.  Behind the fencing is a charming garden.

Managed to get a glimpse of it. It looked very restful.

The next one was entirely different - no comment, except to say that I only like grasses used sparingly!

There are people standing around in the middle of this "field of flowers".  It's not a garden exhibit. My OH noticed that they had rather cleverly planted it by sinking lots of large containers into the ground, but the effect was lovely.

We went in search of things we had missed - this was a bar, rather clever.

I laughed out loud at this notice.  In small letters near the bottom, it says "Said someone on the internet!"