Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 August 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful week!

Bull Moose "Laughing"
Grand Teton National Park 
U.S. National Park Service, NPS/Adams
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright free)

• Hallo All and thank you again Diane, but I'm so very sorry about the upset with your friend.  That must be devastating for you.  And how awful that you couldn't just pack up and leave but had to endure what must've been a really ghastly ride home. Huge hugs from here.

OG:  Ah! Finally figured out what a DMR is; for some reason I assumed it was your mobility scooter.  Nice that it still had all your recorded programs.

Lindybird: We get the LA TImes daily here (well, my OH gets it); it's not allowed to reproduce.  I see the NYTimes, Washington Post and the Guardian online;  Good to read that G is home for the weekend, especially as OG mentioned how quiet the hospital is on weekends.   Congrats on the one-way campaign.  Keep writing those letters (what about

Heather: Hope Callum left things tidy this time round.

PatO:  That sounds like a lovely walk.  It does recharge our batteries to be out in nature.  I even feel better when I've been cleaning up the garden. Fingers crossed it won't be too gloomy for your drive through Ashdown Forest tomorrow.

Rosy: No chance for another recycling bin then?  Are you in a rural area where you all share one big one?

Have a good Sunday all.

• Welcome home Diane. So sorry your long friendship is over. I’m sending you strengthening thoughts. {{{HUGS}}}I

I had a massive weeding session yesterday but garden doesn’t appear much different. <sigh>

• Diane - so sorry to hear about your argument with your long-term friend.  I do hope that over time the rift may heal … friends we have had for a long time know about us and know the kind of support we need at times in our lives.  I'm sure she must be upset as well - let's hope and pray for reconciliation.  Love the moose picture.

Lindy - hope your friend G is enjoying her time at home with her OH and some nourishing food.  I do hope they can come up with a treatment that keeps her comfortable and pain-free.

AQ - as others have said, I can't really understand the details of the Australian political situation.  What with Australia, USA, Europe, Venezuela … can someone please sort out the world?!?!?

• Good Morning, All.  Started dry here today, but the rain has now set in for the day. We intend to get a few things done online, and of course I'm off to visit G, later.

Diane, you have been in my thoughts.

Pat - we certainly need someone to come on the scene and sort out the world. I sometimes wonder what my parents would have thought about it all, they went through WWII of course, in the prime of their lives, and hoped for a better future for all.

• Forgot to say, thanks for the laughing moose, Diane!! He's probably laughing at what a mess the human race are making of things!

• Bjane: The Forest is very beautiful. We are having another go at making it an AOB. It is very strange in that its location between the River Wye and the River Severn makes it somewhat isolated. In years gone by it even had its own language and a few people can still speak it. Although it is part of Gloucestershire it can also feel Welsh, indeed our main shopping is in Wales (Monmouth).

We have just had some newcomers, a pair of beavers in the hope that they can assist in helping to reduce flooding. They were in the forest until becoming extinct here so it is really a return.

Next on the list is to re-introduce pine martins so ultimately we will be able to re-introduce red squirrels as they predate on grey ones. On top of that we have plenty of deer and unfortunately wild boar. The original ones were dumped in the forest and we are being overwhelmed with them in spite of culling. They do make a mess with their digging for food.

Oh, someone’s turned on a VERY BIG tap outside!

• Another dreich Sunday, and hello to all.

Diane – sorry your trip ended in such a painfully sad way.  Thank you for starting the week with such a handsome critter – well, I am sure he looks handsome to a lady Moose!

Annette – sorry – DMR is “Digital Media Recorder, used to store items for later viewing. 

AQ – hope the weeds didn’t offer up too much pollen for your breathing!

Pat – I hope your journeys were reasonable this morning – possibly wind-assisted in one direction or other?

Linda – I hope your online domestic intentions bore fruit, and that you spent a positive time with your Friend.

FB – I’ve never knowingly been to the Forest of Dean, but Daughter and S-i-L took Son there camping and walking when he was quite young – I didn’t know about Wild Boar at that time, otherwise might not have let them take him!  I didn’t know you had Beavers reintroduced there, or the intention for Pine Marten.  We have Pine Marten in the Galloway Forest, and Red Squirrels all around – and Otters in our river here.  Sorry about the weather today – I hope you were able to get round the corner for your usual lunch!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• ForestBoar: I actually Googled Forest of Dean and it does have an interesting history.  But what is an AOB?

OG: I should've made the connection earlier - here they're DVRs: Digital Video Recorders.

AQ: Amazing isn't it!  I've packed our huge green bin with weeds and trimmings and am always astounded that the garden doesn't look dramatically different!  Nature is very sneaky.

Sorry to see that John McCain, the Arizona Republican senator (and Vietnam war hero) died yesterday.  His politics weren't my politics, but he certainly had the courage of his convictions and wasn't afraid to speak his mind, unlike so many of the current members of his party  Talk about sorting out the world.....  I shall throw up if DT goes to the funeral and spouts some hypocritical blather after what he's said about him.   Blech and more blech. They should dig a hole and stick DT in it!  

Other than that, morning all!  :-)

• OG: That was well and truly washed out – I'm not hot on swimming! The birds are lucky as it has now stopped so feeders will be filled. Trying out a new de luxe quiche from Lidl later.

• OG - my outward journey was fine - chilly but dry.  The return journey was in heavy rain - and as for getting from the car park to my car in quite nice sandals … aarrgghh!  Now sitting watching the rain falling and wondering if it will stop before I need to go out again in a couple of hours.  I rather think it won't!

Annette - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.  The Forest of Dean certainly qualities, as do my local Surrey Hills.  These areas have been designated all over the UK, but I'm not sure whether it actually makes any difference.

I didn't know what DVR stood for, even though I now realise I have one!  I guessed it was some sort of recording device.

Hope everyone is having a reasonable Sunday in spite of the weather.  Particularly thinking of Diane and Lindy's friend G.