Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 12 August 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a peaceful, wonderful week. 

Wolf, Yellowstone National Park 
U.S. National Park Service, NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Rosy:  Love the story of your neighbor!  An inspiration!

Gillian:  It's my niece who's coming (but same branch of the family tree).   When I retired, I was still doing some freelance work and with regard to your comment about missing the social aspect of work, read somewhere that the newly retired tend to form "friendships" with mailmen, UPS delivery people, etc., etc.  :-)   (That was probably before social media!)   Hope the Swedish cot has good instructions and all the necessary parts.  I remember hearing a story once about the police being called to a house where the residents seemed to be having a huge fight. Turned out they were trying to assemble something from the same store.  FYI, if you want to put anything in bold, italic, etc., you can use the "rich formatting" link under your post, which is where you also can upload photos when and if you ever feel like it, but I wouldn't worry about it.   Can I ask what you did before  you retired?

PatO: Well your friend is living somewhere very nice if she's a regular at Point Lobos.

AQ:  :-))  Interesting that kiddie-involved grandparents live longer.  I guess it's because they have a sense of purpose and being needed., plus there's no time to think bout how exhausted they are!

Have a good Wednesday all.

• Good Morning.  A bit grey here, again.  Eldest has just gone dashing off to another city centre meeting, then he's going home from there tonight, so we won't see him. He demolished a plate of chicken and vegetables at an alarming rate last night, so hasn't changed! He always used to start at one side of the plate and work his way across, as fast as his fork would carry him!

I'm getting going as my Doc wants a blood test (just routine as I've changed my meds) so I'm off to the local Clinic, and then we have to pack again, as we're off to Wales - again!

• Hello all -

ROSY - sending late birthday wishes - I was impressed with the truce regarding downstairs noise!

As usual, reading all but not organised enough to be chatty - my mind has been elsewhere over the past few days. Our Danish friends invited me to join them on a holiday next February, to South America. I've had to think carefully before refusing as it is not the first invitation from them that I've turned down. It would involve three weeks, starting in Beunos Aires, and ending  with eight days on a cruise ship travelling through the Magellan straits and up the Chilean coast. Anyway, they have accepted my refusal graciously.

AQ - Reassuring to read that being involved with grandchildren keeps you younger!

LINDY - enjoy Wales. I hope that the weather is kind.

GILLIAN - Good that you are enjoying the chat!

Middle daughter and Amy are coming this afternoon and we shall cook Aubergine Parmigiana for dinner.

Have a good day, everyone!

• A bit of free time at last!  Yesterday I got busy with church typing, but also doing some indoor jobs with J’s help while OH was mowing.  He just finished scarifying and mowing before the rain came, but he didn’t get a chance to do any other tidying at the front.  Today I have been attending to a few “loose ends”, including some online ordering, while he cleaned the bathrooms – yesterdays job, but the lawns took priority!  Today is dark and much wetter.

Bonnie – I enjoyed your blog about the bread roll – silly Daddy – but why didn’t they leave a piece of cheese for you to have with it?

Linda – sorry your Wednesday shopping was so time-consuming and frustrating – you need your time away to get over that!  Pleased your Son enjoyed the chicken dinner.  I hope the blood test went well, and that you will get at least some dry days in Wales.

George – sorry about the dishwasher – but it has served you well for a long time!  Nice for you to see your Son and D-i-L on their journeys to and from Norwich – and pleased to see that her father had a good scan.  Schools here don’t start back until next Tuesday, except the staff go back this Friday and have training days Friday and Monday.

Annette – sorry, I hadn’t realised your niece is divorced; has she travelled so far alone before?

Rosy – how kind of you to give a tea-party for your friend, especially as she is recovering from surgery – she sounds a very active 84-year-old!

Gillian – whereabouts on the Black Isle was your holiday?  We have been up that way a lot – our Daughter#2 used to be in Conon Bridge and she and her new husband are now in Muir of Ord – on the landward side of the Black Isle.  The last time we were up that way, we found the Botanic Garden in Inverness, which is very good.

Pat O – you are right about not knowing addresses now we communicate digitally – I had to send a Facebook message to elder Granddaughter (25 on Saturday) to tell her that if she wants a birthday card we need to know where to send it!  It got a result – she knows there will be a cheque in the envelope!

AQ – I hope you two had a good afternoon with the Little People!  And well done with guessing correctly for lunch!  I think ten years is a price worth paying at this end of my life for not being encumbered with Littlies, although I may have enjoyed seeing more of them earlier.

Heather – how kind of your Danish friends, but I can understand why you declined the holiday offer!  Enjoy your kitchen time with Daughter and Granddaughter!

Must go – sounds like OH is up a cul-de-sac with vegetables!

• Just to say, I've been too busy to post - but all OK here!

• Unknown said:
    Reading quickly, I spotted AQ's post about knitted sausages. I thought that anyone just joining would wonder what sort of people we are on here!

Here are said sausages.

Next project. Miss6 had a quiet plea that her favourite toy doesn’t have a scarfe as do twins’. Me – What colour would you like? Miss6 - Green. (This from a child who wore nothing but pink or purple until she was put into a blue school uniform). At least that gets rid of the peculiar lime green wool.

OH survived nanny duty – he fell asleep as I was reading to twins LOL. One story about a young kangaroo who could not hop. His mother took him to a hoptician. MissL to nap 2.30 pm. MissJ entertained OH, wanting to play “that card game” (Patience on his phone), while I worked through usual chores. MissJ came to help me sort & put away masses of tiny knickers & socks. I have to check size but she knows at a glance whose is whose. MissL woke 4.30 pm (yeay), in plenty of time before tea and bed.

• Linda – You promise to come here for bacon & eggs, knitted?

• Ha ha!  --  On my way, AQ!  --  love the look of the colourful sausages, I was imagining brown ones. Love the sound of the hoptician, too!

Good Morning, Everyone.  It rained all night here (hooray) and has just stopped as my OH left for golf. Lots of youngsters will awake with dread in the pit of their stomachs as today is Results Day for those who took their important "A" Level exams.

Heather - It's understandable that you paused when your kind Danish friends invited you to join them on their trip. Hopefully, they will not mind but may ask you to join them again another time, on something less far away.

Must go and grab some breakfast, a busy day ahead.

• Hop to it....

I couldn't hop, I just stood still,

I struggled lots, and cried, until

The hoptician came, to show me how

Not to just stand around, like a cow or sheep

He taught me that I need to keep

My tail a'movin and my legs a'groovin.

Now, instead of forgetting to pop,

I hop and hop, and just can't stop!!

• Linda - I shall read your poem to MissJ who giggled all the way through the story; read many times already I suspect. BTW the “cure” was that Dr Leapyear suggested kanga’s tail was too heavy and wanted to cut some off. And now, yes, hop and hop, and just can't stop!!