The Poole Harbour Translocation Thread for 2018-2019

Continued from     here

This is the thread which will cover the second year of the osprey translocation to Poole 

• Wonderful pics, Alison, thank you!

Kind regards, Ann

• What camera did you buy Alison?

Richard B

• It’s a Sony RX10-IV bridge camera. I’ve barely begun to learn how to use it yet! It’s on Auto at the moment until I get more familiar with all the bells and whistles. Today was just a quick grab and shoot so I’m very pleased with what it produced. Those ospreys don’t usually hang around for long.

• Unknown said:

It’s a Sony RX10-IV bridge camera. I’ve barely begun to learn how to use it yet! It’s on Auto at the moment until I get more familiar with all the bells and whistles. Today was just a quick grab and shoot so I’m very pleased with what it produced. Those ospreys don’t usually hang around for long.

If you have one of those then don't be put off by Simons pictures, or anyones really.

I bought the same camera a month ago and have been out with it every weekend since. I have noticed a marked difference in the quality of my pictures each week. 

There is so much to learn about it, but it is more than capable of taking outstanding pictures. there are so many things it can do.

As you get used to it you will be amazed how good your photos will become, and you will not find a DSLR than can do as good an all round job for that money with only one lens. 

Richard B

• Unknown said:

It’s a Sony RX10-IV bridge camera. I’ve barely begun to learn how to use it yet! It’s on Auto at the moment until I get more familiar with all the bells and whistles. Today was just a quick grab and shoot so I’m very pleased with what it produced. Those ospreys don’t usually hang around for long.

I'm sure you recognise this spot, so you know how far away these Spoonies were. It's a great camera

Richard B

• Thanks Richard. A good choice then!

I’m going on the Birds of Poole Harbour osprey boat tomorrow which should be a nice change from monitoring (although I do love that).

• Unknown said:

Thanks Richard. A good choice then!

I’m going on the Birds of Poole Harbour osprey boat tomorrow which should be a nice change from monitoring (although I do love that).

That will be a nice change, you can actually relax while watching the Birds instead of writing down every last detail.

Loads of videos on U-tube about using the RX10, some are very good.

Richard B

• Thanks for the link to that extremely iteresting article SHEILA ANN I think Poole said they are already putting supplements in the fish ALISON Really lovely pictures Enjoy your camera and your trip RICHARD Love the picture of the spoonblls

• I have read all is not well..

A question why take healthy chicks from caring parents who know what to feed them and how to rear then.

I live where most of the chicks have been taken over the last few years.

I can guarantee the dearth of Osprey here can’t be just a coincidence .