Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 June 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

In case anyone missed the exciting announcement, the NASA Curiosity Rover found preserved organic material, as well as a mysterious level of methane gas, on Mars. These two discoveries indicate that Mars well could have sustained life in the past, and life could even exist there now in some form. 

NASA Press Release
The Independent, UK

Delicate Arch at Night
Arches National Park, Utah USA
National Park Service/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Good Morning.  Just asked my OH how much it's rained in the night, and he said 'not very much!"

Disappointing. As I said, we need the rain for the garden. It is breezy, but we're not getting the high winds they have farther north in UK.

• Oh, I should have added AQ! Stay safe in the high winds, AQ!

• Some photos from my garden:

(If you're wondering, its a tree peony)

(Amaryllis, indoors)

• More:

Flowers on our archway:  clematis and climbing roses.

Close up of the clematis - we were thrilled with this, as it only had a few flowers last year. However, since flowering it has wilted and I think it's died.... darn it.

Poppies (of course!!)

• OH started painting our railings yesterday, but couldn't continue today as the forecast was for rain. He is working over the next couple of days, so the next possibility looks like Sunday.

• Lindybird: Love the poppies, but what is that second photo of flowers with the pale petals and pink tinges?

• first time online since coming away - will need to see where I left off before answering any posts!  Meanwhile, can tell you we had a good lunch with George at a farm shop which he recommended.  Both men had soup & pud and I had soup and sandwich, and we talked a lot!  

• OG   nice to hear you had a good lunch and chat with George. Hope everything went well for you.

We are not long back from a walk with Benson. What a wind. Luckily no trees down but a carpet of fallen leaves.  This morning we saw a young red squirrel on a neighbours squirrel feeder and this afternoon we saw the same. He surely could't have been there for 6 hours!!! Maybe he feels safer there in these winds.

• Unknown said:

Lindybird: Love the poppies, but what is that second photo of flowers with the pale petals and pink tinges?

Its a rhodedendron, Annette. It's jammed in between some other shrubs, so I decided to just photograph one flower head rather than try to fit in the whole thing!

OG - Great that you managed a nice lunch with George.

We've had a man here to give us a quote on replacing one misted over pane in the kitchen window. It was almost a sit down moment! - We told him we'd think about it, and we're going to get some more quotes.

• Posted first instalment as machine keeps jumping all over the page – forward and backward.   Now using Word in hope that I can keep track of where I am.

So it’s back to Tuesday morning; surprised to see Dibnlib’s OH is painting the fence again – doesn’t seem long since he did it!

Annette – sorry if I am jumping in – someone may have replied already.  We don’t get regular colonoscopies over here – unless indicated – just FOB tests from age 50 in Scotland or 60 in England.  Strange about Lynette – I do hope she is just too busy to write!

AQ – sounds like a very peaceful Nanny Day.  Don’t invite me to Oz – I won’t eat cauliflower soup, or pea and ham soup!

Linda – have lost a sentence I wrote higher up – and forget what I said.  This keyboard seems to have forgotten who is in charge and I have suspicions about mouse too!  Lovely to see garden pics - I hope there is no wind damage.  We stopped at a small park/garden this afternoon, but decided not to walk under the trees as so many bits were coming down!