LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for June, July, Aug, Sept 2018

• Evening All.  It seems that the actual ringing of Blue 24's single chick, a large female, happened on Wednesday and not on Monday as we were told by the man who stopped to chat with us on Monday afternoon.  The ring number is Z9, weight is 1770 g.  The Llyn Brenig people are holding a vote between Enid and Luned as a name for the chick.  These are characters from the Mabinogion.  Vote on the Llyn Brenig Facebook page:  www.facebook.com/LlynBrenig .  Mike (who comments on many other Osprey threads on this Forum) has suggested that there may have been a recce on Monday since the ringer, Tony Cross, had never done a ringing on water before.  That jogged my memory.  The man who chatted with us also said on Monday morning they had used one of the boats for the disabled and that makes the possibility of the Monday event fairly plausibly having been a recce; boats for the disabled have very heavy keels which stabilises the boat and keeps it from capsizing, which is a very good thing for anyone planning to ring chicks over a lake!

Kind regards, Ann

• Willow, Sorry to have missed you at Dyfi.  It is a wonderful place and so is Glaslyn but although they are very different everyone we encountered at both places was cheery and agreeable and helpful.  Next year let us compare schedules.  I expect we will be back in north west Wales about the same time next year, partly depending on when the Leighton Moss fans on the Forum plan meet up.

Kind regards, Ann

•                four popular nests.  

do I need to ID them?  Didn't think so.                        all captured consecutively just minutes ago.

It has been a long time since I have been in the mood to "make the rounds".

•  I was surprised to log in at Hellgate, Montana and find broad daylight, as it is dark here in Ohio - 11:00 p.m. Then remembered it is only 9 p.m. there, so in summer would not be dark for a while yet.  You can see it is getting late, tho, as the ospreys are picking up late evening/sunset colors.

•  Can't omit LG even if it does just add to my osprey depression.

• Evening, All.

June, Thanks for the pics. We've been at the Glaslyn nest all day Friday and today and will be there all day on Monday.  One of the visitors showed me a photo of the Hellgate nest and thanks to you and others on these threads, I recognised it and we had a lovely chat about it.  I only have dipped in to that nest very rarely.  We are very much enjoying watching the live streaming in the visitor centre, watching various birds from the centre including the Ospreys, of course, and talking with staff, volunteers and visitors.  We hope to do the same thing next year again.  We've also visited the Dyfi Osprey Project and Blue 24's (and her Scottish partner HR7's) nest at Llyn Brenig.  I'm afraid we will have to leave Clwedog until next time.  It would only have been better if we'd been able to cross paths at one of these nests with Keith!

Keith--We unfortunately didn't manage to meet up (unless you are stopping by Glaslyn on Monday since we'll be there but if you only had a week I expect you may be home by now) but if not, then perhaps another time and/or place!  Hope all is well with you and yours and that your trip was a great success.  At least the temperatures here in Wales are a bit lower now than they were last week.

Kind regards, Ann

• Good evening all. June thankyou for the pics of the nests. Love the Many on bay one! My favourite nest.

The train does run quite close to the Dyfi nest! Would like to catch that train and get a closer view! Trouble is you can't poke your head out of the windows on modern trains! Network Rail sponsors the Dyfi nest.

Would  very much like to go to Glaslyn next year.

• Willow, I hope you do manage to visit Glaslyn and a few other Welsh nests--all different, but all enjoyable and working together.  

Kind regards, Ann