Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 June 2018

Happy New Week!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and easy week! 

Grizzly Bear at Frying Pan Spring in Yellowstone National Park
U.S. National Park Service/Jim Peaco
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Hello all - thank you for your news and thank you to DIANE.

I hate to say this but I wish that we would get some rain. Preferably during the night if that is not too much to ask. It is quite oppressive here - as in Annan where OG lives and like LINDY my garden is drying up. I water in the evenings but it isn't really enough.

LINDY -I was sorry to read last week that your friend has more health worries. I hope for good news for her.

I will have to google 'box caterpillars', ROSY!

My girls are nagging me to just sit down and rest - just like my friends on here! I did walk to Tesco this morning and in a wee while I shall do some weeding as the garden refuse bin will be collected tomorrow. Half of my tiredness is mental - I kept trying to anticipate just what Bella might do next (!) despite my risk assessment (double!!). Her mum is exhausted, babe due in two weeks or so.

FB - I'm happy that you and the family had a good lunch on Friday. Which Friday? Time has flown past!

ANNETTE - The renovations certainly are proceeding quickly - or so it seems to me. If you weren't there as project manager I suspect that there would be delays by now...

I'd better go and pull some weeds.

• Morning all:  

OG: Good news for granddaughter - so does that mean that she'll definitely be going to York?    Didn't it seem like Dau#2 was "coming round" re the rest of the family - she's the one who just recently married?  (I have trouble keeping track of my own family.)

Rosy: I think the contractor has a couple of really big jobs in the coming months - two houses going up and, separately, two two-storey decks for two houses out in the hills - $60-$80K each -choke, splutter!!  Anyway, it's a family company and the crew is really nice. Will also have to Google box caterpillars.

Heather:  I find mental/emotional fatigue much worse than physical, which feelsso nice when you stop doing whatever it is..

Take care everyone.

• Sorry I missed you, Diane - I see you came on and said Hi!, but I'd logged off by then!

Rosy, I saw a thing on Gardeners World about the box caterpillars ravaging everyone's box hedges, especially in the south of UK. So I know what you mean. Pests can be - such a pest.....

My beautiful clematis which l pictured the other day on our archway now looks distinctly sad: I thought that maybe it was just thirsty, and poured whole cans of water on the roots, but it's all drooped. It must have 'clematis wilt' for which there's no cure, or else something's eating it from below :-(

OG - You mustn't have been particularly gripped by the church service! Never mind. My OH is asleep in a garden chair now, as I write. He hoped we could visit his sister today but she has gone out on a long walk with a couple of  friends - she is very fit and active for her age. We may go to see her tomorrow.

Heather - Please take note of all our exhortations, and rest between activities, if you must be active! Children are exhausting, I find it hard not to be ultra careful with the grandchildren even though we feel as if it's only a couple of years since we did all this with our own children. But we were 30/40 years younger, then!

• Tried to post again but lost the blue "post" button!!!!

• ANNETTE -- it is a conditional offer, so depends on her grades in the current exams - York ask her to get one A grade and 2 Bs, Edinburgh Napier only want one B and 2 Cs.  Keep wondering whether to try calling Dau#2 again this afternoon, but find it quite painful when she doesn't answer the phone!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Daughter#2 (the one who recently married) phoned back this evening and we had a good chat - including a bit about her wedding - which both her boys attended - pleased about that.  She also discussed her work, their house and holiday plans, so she was really very open with me.  Very relieved!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG - I'm really pleased for you.  Family disputes are so difficult to cope with, and can fester for years.  I'm so pleased you seem to be back on an even keel with your daughter.

Everyone else - my computer has just told me it is going switch off and download some updates, so I'd better close everything!  

• We actually had a good shower of rain in the night, the first for ages, must be two weeks? and as people have  said the ground is still dry, the plants need a lot of watering. This is unusual in the Lake District!

• OG, so very pleased for you. I hope all will be well now.

• ChrisyB said:

We actually had a good shower of rain in the night, the first for ages, must be two weeks? and as people have  said the ground is still dry, the plants need a lot of watering. This is unusual in the Lake District!

It certainly is, Chrisy! Dry spells are rare indeed, there!