Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 June 2018

Happy New Week!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and easy week! 

Grizzly Bear at Frying Pan Spring in Yellowstone National Park
U.S. National Park Service/Jim Peaco
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Good Morning, All. Dry and bright here again.

Chrisy - I'm full of admiration for your friends, as I know that a garden like that takes a lot of work and dedication. How lovely for you to see the osprey chicks. The first time I ever saw a live osprey was in the Lake District, when I had no idea how big they are, nor the mind boggling achievement of their annual migrations.

Heather - I expect Katie just needs breathing space, there is so much pressure on students these days.

OG - I did send you a PM, but don't know if you received it! 

My OH has just brought me a cup of tea but says he has an upset stomach, so we'll see what the day brings.

• Dibnlib - Don't know if he'll speak to them, but he's certainly annoyed about it. Litter is one of our bugbears, too.

• Wee went to Dochgarroch yesterday afternoon. There is a  cottage (by the canal) which is owned by an elderly couple who own 3 aging tortoises who are really enjoying our weather at the moment. They are in a pen in the garden and there is a notice telling interested people their names, ages and what each likes to eat.  The owners leaves hampers of treats, usually homemade flapjacks and shortbread, just outside their  fence with an honesty box for contributions. Love it.

• Annette – wow, those electricians start bright and early!  Some workmen here say they will start at 8 o’clock, but that usually means they will leave their base at 8 and arrive after half-past!

Heather – sounds like you had a more normal day, with a bit of gardening.  I always think when I write “lawns” that it looks too posh for our grass areas – which are not as closely manicured as the neighbours’ – no weed would dare grow in theirs, nor Starlings root about for insects!  Glad Katie is okay – enjoy the visit from the two of them.

Chrisy – how nice that you can visit Esthwaite Ospreys – I am not sure quite where it is!  Your Friends’ garden sounds wonderful, especially with Sheep included!

Dibnlib – enjoy the swim, and the rest of the day.  Dochgarroch cottage and occupants sound lovely!

Linda – weather, likewise!  Very remiss of me not to acknowledge the PM – I will email you!  I hope your OH’s stomach will settle, and that you won’t catch a bug if that is causing it.

J has already gone for his blood test; mine is at 10:40, and then podiatrist here late afternoon.   OH says the lawn treatment had definitely started working when he watered the grass last evening; hoping to get some garden time during the day today.  Must also think about co-ordinating laundry ready for time away next week – hoping to meet up with George, and also with Grandson and his wife while we are in Fife.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• PS - knew I would forget something - we had our first ever seen Male Bullfinch in the garden at breakfast time, in the "Woodland area" - stunning bird!

Must go and do something - been sitting here being a nosey neighbour as "Something" is happening opposite, and we don't know what!  I can see without being obvious as it is beyond the Willow with the bird feeders, so I can legitimately sit and watch the birds!

• OG  How lovely for you. I hope it will be the first of many sightings.  Wonder what the neighbours are up to?

LINDY  What a coincidence. My OH had an iffy tum yesterday evening, but markedly better this morning. I am fine,

Swam 60 lengths this morning, that is about 3/4 mile. It is a fair while since I did that many.

• Well done, DIBNLIB. Good going. I remember OH telling me about the cottages at Dochgarroch. They used to be part of the Dochfour estate, I think - maybe still are.

LINDY -  Hope that your OH is not too troubled by his upset tum. I was sorry to read about your clematis, as you say, probably the dreaded wilt. I do wonder what the awful cousin will think, when she arrives! She does seem to be very thick skinned so it maybe won't sink in....

CHRISY - your friends' garden sounds beautiful. They must have some help with it?

OG - Our Danish friends have an expression for neighbourly inquisitiveness - she was born in Langeland and apparently, everyone knows everything about everybody. So they say that they are looking at things with 'Long Island eyes' if at all curious about their neighbours!

Katie, Amy and I went to Tesco this morning. I asked them to choose some things for their lunch and snacks. Said items cost more than my 'proper' shopping..... They are now, as usual, plonked in front of the TV in the sitting room. And as usual, lots of laughter! It is lovely to have laughter in the house.

ANNETTE - I wonder if your OH will drag himself off to the shops and get food? He'll never starve, I'm sure.

• HEATHER - I assume the two girls are on exam leave now - or have they actually finished school?

My vein was reluctant to bleed this morning, but we got the three "bottles" out in the end!  Long time since it was so difficult.  Also collected my meds for when we are away.  Not done much at home - except three loads of laundry!

• OG/HEATHER   My Great Aunts' husband, who i never knew as he died young was quoted as saying "it isn't being nosey, but showing a healthy interest in your neighbours.

• OG- Katie is on post exam hols, I think!! Amy has finished school as she decided not to stay on. She starts college after summer, to study child care.