Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

Mountain Goat

U. S. National Park Service/Tim Rains
Photo Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Hi to all -

In my head I know all your news but won't get replies correct!

ANNETTE - I would love to travel in a roomette - have always like cosy places! Your pics are good and interesting. Unlike OG, I like open spaces (strangely, in view of my first sentence!) When I came to live in the Highlands over 40years ago, I thought it would feel like coming home, since my father was a Highlander. I was horrified to discover that I hated being out in the countryside with mountains loomimg. Felt very threatened.

LINDY - Good that the weather is fine and you are relaxing. You don't seem to have done much of that, recently.

LYNETTE - hope that the doc will come up with something - even if it is to move the rug!! I wonder if you felt dizzy before falling.

DIANE - good luck with the weeds. I will never feel disgruntled again, when pulling up small weeds! The whole snake thing terrifies me.... I appreciate your thoughts on bereavement. There certainly is no time scale.

OG -you asked a while ago about Callum and his car. Callum's car was impounded because he was directly behind the car of the lad that was killed. That is all that I know.

I'm gardening, today. Just taking a wee break. A friend who lives in wales sent me a pic of her back garden yesterday. It all looks so tidy. Big lawn,narrow shrub border and very large decking area outside the house. I'm not a huge fan of decking and I did think that she could have some tubs on it but I think that since her husband died she is just going for the lowest maintenance option. Maybe I am envious of all the time she is saving!!!!

• Had a walk along our beach, to get some sea air into my lungs. Saw the usual sea birds, and also two swans. Picked up some small shells, and a piece of driftwood which looks like a bird with a cross expression!

Went to the nearest Tesco this morning (about 15 minutes away) Enjoyed a mooch about without my OH urging me to hurry. Consequently, of course, I bought several non food items including a powerful pocket torch and some plastic freezer bags, ready for when we cut the bounty of the allotment later in the year. Got some tinned Pimms which I've enjoyed in recent years, when it's been warm weather.

Hot and sunny here again today. I sat out and started a book I've had for about 3 years but never got around to.

AQ -- Its nearly 100 miles from our house.  The journey is on varied roads, starting out by going through towns and villages with speed limits and sometimes heavy traffic. Then there are some two lane country roads.  This gives way to a dual carriage "expressway" which speeds people across the top of Wales, including going through 3 tunnels in the mountains where they reach the sea!  Then we reach Caernarfon, which is a busy main town and has a lot of traffic in summer. Coming out of the other side, the mountains are on view and we drive through farmland with hamlets and fields of sheep - at present they're silaging some of the meadows which means cutting and gathering the grass to store for winter feed. Finally we reach a tiny place by the sea and we can see the roofs of caravans from the road. The lane leads to our site and some attractive seaside bungalows and chalets, but comes to a dead end.

On a good day, with no traffic and a powerful car, it can be done in just over two hours. Yesterday in Ruby, with a stop in the middle for a stretch and a cold drink, I managed it in two hours and 20 something minutes.

• ps -     OG - I was pleased to see that there are other people here, but about three quarters of the neighbours are working age and can only manage weekends most of the time. I did speak to our gardener/handyman today, and have waved to some other residents.  I did go to bed with my mobile phone on the bedside table - we get a good signal here. But it's very very quiet, and the dawn birdsong is the noisiest thing!

• Annette: I loved all your beautiful photos, especially the lovely north country landscapes and the trains!!! Dang, I want to take a train trip. I was not at all surprised about the Border Patrol on the train. I will reply to your post to me on that subject after you get back from Arizona. There are some things I want to tell you (and Heather and maybe others, too), but I need to decide how much to say on this thread. I think I'll just send a PM or an email. Have a wonderful and safe trip!!! Enjoy seeing your family. 

• Annette, love your photos.   Was this on the journey back to California after visit to the Uk, or is this another trip you were doing.   Still very interesting to see some of the buildings and landscapes of the USA.

• Lindy - that was great fun to see, Fred was smitten with them and they him - so touching.

As to Hawaii, are they going to get one massive eruption or has the danger passed!!

• Lovely service from Manchester yesterday.   They are doing amazingly well, picking up the pieces and soldering on although I know it will take a lot of time for the "wounds" to heal.

• Am in Blythe after late start (too many things that didn't get done earlier!).  It's 8:30 and it's 84F!  It's 20 degrees cooler where I'm going, thank heaven

Diane: I was taken aback to see the Border Control people on the train. I have a friend who made the same trip last October and must ask her if she was aware of them.

So here's the last batch of photos...  We are in the Cascade Mountains, which run west of the Rockies along the Pacific coast.  That's the Skyhomish River alongside the train tracks.  This is wild, wild country.

Out of the Mountains and in the agricultural area near the coast.

Finally!  The West Coast - that's Puget Sound (pronounced Pew with a soft g) and the mountains of the magnificent Olympic Peninsula in the distance. The San Juan Islands off Seattle (that's one across the water) - and the corresponding islands off Vancouver, British Columbia - are absolutely gorgeous.

My last evening on the road, my Seattle friend and I went out to dinner to a fab fish restaurant (with an amazing "early diner" deal) overlooking the Sound. Here's one of the Washington State ferries that connects the San Juans with various points on the mainland.  

I have to end with flowers! The first is a spectacular azalea, one of the many flowers (along with camellia, lilac and wisteria) that were in full bloom around the neighborhood where my friend lived....  Not something we see in this part of California.

And this is my Cecile Brunner climbing rose, welcoming me home.  :-)))

Sorry I've not responded to individual posts; it's been hectic and I knew I had to organize the photos before I left for Arizona.  I have, however, read them all - thank you everyone.    I doubt anyone will want photos of the bathroom remodeling project, so you're all safe for the foreseeable future!  :-))

• Episode No ?? in the long-running nanny duty saga! My yesterday began with a request by Dau for me an hour earlier so she could go self-clothing shopping. OK. I arrive to find she’d had a flat tyre, had to swop cars with her OH. Everything still fine. MissL off to her pm nap, no probs. MissJ helped washing up and played Noah’s Ark while Dau on school pickup run in wee car. On her return from school run, Miss6 lowered the front seat, somehow clobbering Dau’s head. We decided Dau was not fit to drive and, as Miss6 is tall enough, just, to be strapped in the back of my car without a child seat, I would deliver her to Girl Guides at 4.30 pm and continue home. Her father would collect her as usual. I have been to centre once, traffic not too bad considering time of day. Oh dear, where is everyone. I track down an organiser to learn it is campfire night, stating 5.30 pm. Great. I phone Dau and return (10 min drive) so Miss could have her tea. I learn that MissL woke from her nap and cried as I was gone. Consoling cuddles. MissJ was suffering 5 pm blues plus hunger. Another set of cuddles. Three kids fed by whoosy Dau. Off Miss & I go again, deliver child, find finishing time, phone parents and I go home. I wonder why I am tired today? I haven’t heard from Dau and I don’t know whether that is good or bad news.

• Good Morning.  Cloudy here this morning. My OH should arrive late afternoon but I have no plans other than to clean the kitchen floor and read some more of my book!

Going back now to read Annette's captions properly - thanks for posting your pics, and have a safe journey, Annette.

AQ - Its a saga alright....  Hope your daughter is OK.