Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

PLEASE CHECK BACK TO LAST WEEK'S THREAD HERE TO SEE AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM MOFFER. Feel better, Moffer!

Sleeping Barred Owl

U.S. National Park Service (G. Gardner)
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Rosy:   :-)) I very much doubt that Lindybird ever parts with shoes 

Lindybird: Forgot to say that my two pairs of shoes were perfect for the UK and beyond. I could walk miles in either pair. I'd probably have a nervous breakdown if I had to coordinate shoes with clothes (which is why my clothes are typically neutral colored).  Summer it's just a choice between sandals, trainers, or bare feet (also all neutral).  And don't even think about handbags (currently I have a black one that goes everywhere; previously it was a leather one).  Shopping for bras is the worst thing in the whole world.  Ackk. If the Queen is going to arrive that early, I'll definitely have to record everything.  Have not checked news this a.m. to see if the bride's Dad has changed his mind again...

Meanwhile, I'm down the freeway this morning to pick up light fixture for upcoming Arizona remodel.   Wouldn't want to open package onsite only to find it wasn't what was anticipated.  May also find an excuse to pop into Target and the nice TJMaxx that's nearby.

I managed to transfer my trip photos onto my old laptop, which still has Windows Live Photo Gallery, which makes things easier to resize, etc., Gird your loins for some pix!

• Unknown said:

Lindy,  I am very concerned that you don't have any clothes left! You always seem to be off to the charity shop with bags of stuff. Or do you then go and replace things? You did not mention that, though. I am worried!

Do you ever part with shoes?

Um.  Rosy, I have so many clothes, I could part with three quarters of them and still have something to wear.....  I keep things which I like. I still have a blouse I remember wearing when pregnant with my youngest, and he's just turned 40....  Often, I laugh because things go out of fashion but come back in again 12 years later! However, must admit that at present I'm limited by being rather a size larger than I would like to be. So a lot of things are waiting in the wings, to be worn one day. The trip to the charity today included a bag with 3 cookery books as I dusted mine in the kitchen and was horrified at how dusty they were. Then I photocopied some recipes which looked interesting and threw some books out. Also added some small ornamental pots and a jug which was my mother's - I'm trying to be strict with myself as there just isn't room for too many ornamental items, here.

Funny you should say that about the shoes, as only a month ago I gave a hardly ever worn pair of Skechers pumps to my sis in law, as they made my right foot ache. Why, no one knows - must be the way I walk. She was highly delighted. Most shoes I keep until they wear out. Thankfully, it doesn't matter how much you weigh!

• Annette -  Glad your shoes were ideal for your trip.  You sound relaxed about packing, but I realise that as you were on your own, you didn't want a heavy bag to lug about. How is your fountain? The birds will miss it if it's run dry.

• I'm sitting with a cuppa, relieved to have got the dentist visit over with. I'm having a crown put in, right at the back of my jaw, as I have lost a few back teeth and so one molar is doing all the work when I chew. The filling in it keeps coming out. The dentist says that crown should last forever - what he means is that I'm so old now, it doesn't matter!  LOL LOL!!

I had an unpleasant half hour in the dentists chair, feeling as if I was drowning, but at least the sun is shining here this afternoon.

• Lindy - I do hope HM isn't going to the Abbey, or she will miss the wedding, which is in St George's Chapel, Windsor!  I'm fed up with all the media hype and will glad when it's over - although I imagine I will sit and watch it on Saturday.

Just got home from playing my first outdoor bowls match of the season at my new club.  It was FREEZING!  We've had some lovely weather lately, but certainly not today.

• Sorry it was so cold for you, Pat.  My OH used to hate the 1st games of the season, when he felt the cold. (He played Crown Green Bowls, but has now given it up.)

I forgot where The Wedding of the Year was, as I'm in a dash today ;-) -- I would have been just as likely to say Mosque, or Chapel!

I forgot to say yesterday, that I finished the book I was enjoying, "Major Pettigrews Last Stand" which was excellent. A well told tale: can recommend.

• Lindybird: Got fountain working again yesterday and we've taped over the on/off switch given that the pump impeller is sometimes ignoring the "on' signal.  Meanwhile, have soaked the kitchen sink faucet in vinegar in an attempt to unclog it - it's cleaned up the flow but hasn't fixed the basic problem We'll deal with it later on...

Heard that TV coverage of the Royal Wedding is going to start at - gulp! - 1 a.m. California time. Oh my. Maybe I should just not bother to go to bed...

Did quite a bit of "market research" on my trip to Ventura today. Bought a lighting fixture for new bathroom, but need to research hose reels and medicine cabinets further....

• Good Morning.  Sunny start here, but my OH says there's a slight frost this morning.

Glad you got the fountain going, Annette.  We got the lights going after my OH went to 3 more places to search for the right  bulbs: a local shop had them, they're very old fashioned but have huge stocks of things you can't get elsewhere!

I'm doing the ironing and feeding the w. machine today, then off out for lunch to catch up with my Friend - she's off on a "girls only" holiday to Turkey next week!

• Good morning -

A lovely day here. Going out for lunch with a bunch of daughters and granddaughters. No special occasion, just a long weekend for the Elgin children and Amy and Katie have finished their exams.

ANNETTE - good that you have fixed the fountain pump - how many days before you are off to Arizona?

LINDY - you got the replacement bulbs! Great! Hope that you bought extra in case....  I had a massive clear out of clothes last year, including the last of the outfits bought for family weddings.

Will OG and EE be travelling home today? I hope that they had a good time.

PatO - yes, a cold start to the outdoor season for you. Fingers crossed that temps improve!

Successful expedition to the garden centre yesterday, will plant up tubs and pots on Friday/Saturday. I'm not having as many flowers as in the old days. When I look at photos of the garden when OH was doing it, I get a big lump in my throat.

I'm still not sure whether son and his family are coming here as planned on 28th May, for a week. My DiL will be 36 weeks pregnant....

• Hello!  Had a quick read through this morning - thanks for all the good wishes.  The experimental short break was very encouraging and we arrived home safely yesterday evening.  I did take a computer, but never opened it - outside in the daytime and therefore tired in the evenings - we had such wonderful weather, too good to miss!  I will say more about it in a later post, meanwhile unpacking, tidying and sorting laundry!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!