DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Wednesday 9th of May 2018

Well what can I say? Yesterday was a rather grim day as EJ received the square root of zilch in the way of fish. George only made two very brief appearances on the nest, and sadly seems to be seriously neglecting his duties. So what hope is there for the new day? The best scenario is that George suddenly finds good form again and we can all breath a collective sigh of relief. Of course we have to think about EJ reaching a stage where she is driven to fish for herself and thus leaving the eggs exposed to possible predation. In the current circumstances I would be happy to see EJ fend for herself. 

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Hello CRinger

Could you please give me some more time to respond to your questions? - they have caught me unaware and require careful thought.

I do not know anyone personally on this blog. So how have any of my comments been ‘personal’ to anyone?

Kind regards

• So Tiger has called me (savs13) puerile in public?

Savs13 is not a private address of mine.

• Hello again.

Thanks for all the updates etc. Interesting discussion. Sad to say the lack of fish since my last post isn't unexpected. The more I think about the current circumstances the more I'm inclined to believe that George is servicing another nest. I say this because of the complete absence of fish in recent days. Perhaps if he had delivered a couple of small tail ends, we could put it down to hard luck with his hunting efforts. I also ponder about his judgement of whether the eggs (most of them anyway) are his. I know that male Ospreys have been known to attempt to kick eggs from the nest they deem to be fertilised by another male. I've seen this happen. If I remember rightly, George did try to kick the first egg out but didn't come close to succeeding. I'm surprised his efforts weren't redoubled. Then again this is the world of Ospreys where our education  is for ever ongoing.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• savs13 said:

I’m sorry I haven’t posted for a while.  It now appears that a certain core group of bloggers are in charge now.

I'm appalled by your offensive comments.

In your absence this site has produced some incredibly dedicated, talented and knowledgeable members who dedicate hours and hours to watching over these birds. Many friendships have developed as a result and if occasionally concern is expressed on a personal level then that simply indicates how much people care for each other here. It also may be an explanation for their enforced absence which otherwise might be a cause for concern by their friends. We also indulge in a little humour from time to time but essentially there is one common purpose and that is to share and pass on every facet of life on the nest so that those whose time is limited get as full a picture as possible.

Why would you be sorry about not posting? I venture to suggest that no one has missed you.

In my time on here we have 'lost' several dedicated friends and from time to time they are still fondly and respectfully remembered. If such humanity causes you grief then perhaps this is not the Forum for you.

• Thanks Mike

MIKE you are so right

‘Many friendships have developed as a result and if occasionally concern is expressed on a personal level then that simply indicates how much people care for each other here. It also may be an explanation for their enforced absence which otherwise might be a cause for concern by their friends@

EJ must appreciate what you are all doing for her on this basis!!!!

• 22.03  GJ landed, EJ called loudly and got up.  He flew.  EJ called, and has settled back on the nest, looking decidedly wet.

I am staying GJ because she did not intruder respond

and she continues to call in the gloom

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sorry I missed it. Truly offended by some comments here this evening, and have left early.

• "Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here