Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful spring week! 

I chose this photo for the week for a reason. The last time I went to town for groceries and supplies, I stopped to take some items to my relative who broke her hip. I arrived home very late. I was unloading the car in the darkness, barely able to see with a torch (flashlight), and suddenly I heard a booming loud call, "Who cooks for you! Who cooks for you all!" That's the call of a Barred Owl! The sound was coming from a tall tree on my creek levee.

I was just about finished getting everything inside, when the bird called again. This time, he made his "monkey call." Barred Owls can make a wild series of calls that sound just like a big, loud primate. Seriously. Many years ago, we had a Barred Owl pair nesting on this patch, and my Mom swore we had a Bigfoot living in the woods! 

I was so happy to hear the big owl, and I hope he stays!

Barred Owl (Strix varia)
U.S. National Park Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Having a very slow and easy day today after a very painful evening (legs) and difficult night (even resorted to wheelchair indoors during the evening!).  Pain is much less today so getting around as normal on crutches.  Gardening weather, so OH is doing outdoor work so far.  Looking forward to lunch - bought our first Strawberries yesterday!  J is out but will make our dinner this evening - guess it's pasta Bolognese; he is going to cook every Wednesday!

We are not planning on going out until we leave on Sunday for our first short break, assuming all is well.

I hope all is well with Annette and AQ.  And thoughts for FB and family, and anyone else with problems.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Sorry to hear you've been in pain, OG.  Hope it improves today.  Hope you enjoyed the strawberries for lunch.

We've made a trip to John Lewis in Cheadle, as we saw a mantel clock which I liked, but dare not order online without seeing it "in the flesh". Our clock in the caravan has gone haywire, telling the right time only SOME of the time, which is really annoying.  Bought the clock I'd seen, and had a cuppa in the new cafe they have opened there, which is actually not run by J. Lewis now at all - we hate their restaurant which has become self service which involves wandering around with a tray and bumping into other people doing the same. But the new independent cafe is lovely. We have our halos on as we resisted their yummy looking cakes! ;-)

• Sorry, OG, that you have been in so much pain. It must have been bad for you to use the chair indoors. I wonder how big J's cooking repertoire is?! Good that he is going to cook each week on his day off. I haven't been in the garden today, it is cool (my excuse). I had a dental appointment this afternoon and was dreading it because I haven't been since before my OH became unwell. Amazingly, no problems except for the need of an appointment with the hygienist. I felt just the same as when a child - I always dreaded visiting the dental surgery.

Hope everyone is OK -

• Our posts crossed, LINDY! My kitchen clock has stopped working but I just look at the cooker display. Congrats on resisting the cakes!

• LINDA - glad you are pleased with the new café at John Lewis - I remember you saying you were disappointed with the changes in the restaurant.  A clock which is only right some of the time is not very helpful, so I hope you will enjoy the new one!

HEATHER - good news from your dentist appointment.  OH managed the strimming before rain started mid-afternoon, and also to cleared up with the leaf-blower/sucker, so the front is tidier at last.  He is now cleaning plant pots in the garage.

I am getting about much better today with less pain - only as bad as a normal bad day, not the excessive agony of last evening!  My knee is definitely no longer so inflamed - a few degrees cooler to touch than it was yesterday.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Glad to read that, OG. I hope that you get a better night.

• Morning all:  Home Sweet Home!   Sitting up in bed with coffee and computer (oh, and a cookie).  Went out like a light at 8:30 last night and woke up at 6:30.  Have sorted through a bunch of e-mails, etc.; now going to see what you've all been up to.  I'll post a few pix and trip stuff later.

Diane:  I was wondering how you might get there and suspected the logistics would be challenging, requiring a night in Chicago or something like that.  My hotel was okay, but still expensive.  I got there much later due to flight delay so didn't do anything Thursday evening. That left just Friday morning free ; the train was leaving at 2pm, so I took a cab with my luggage to Union Station first thing (incredibly spiffy new waiting area for Sleeper passengers complete with free snacks, coffee (Peets!) and an amazing coffee machine that dispenses delicious lattes, cappuccinos, etc. etc. at the touch of a button.)  I didn't stick around - just dumped my luggage and took off - but the attendant told me they had a wine tasting with cheese and snacks starting at 12:30!)  Amazing.  Anyway, I ended up walking 5.9 miles (according to my iPhone!) around downtown Chicago with a stop at the Art Institute ($25!!! eeek!)  and at the Chicago Architecture Foundation (well, their shop) which I loved.  By then, didn't have time to go on one of their river cruises.  Anyway, tottered back to Unioin Station in time for a glass of wine, some cheese, veggies and dip) before getting on the train.  Must say the free wine included one of California's worst but they did offer better ones for a small cost. Weather was breezy and sunny - lovely.   Loved the story of the Barred Owl. 'Who cooks for you?" indeed!  Sounds like an advert for a personal chef.  :-)   Let us know if you hear it again.

Lindybird: I ordered a Winnie the Pooh CD for Ms. D - well two actually - sometime back and one of them was unavailable for 6 months!  I got regular updates from Amazon asking if I still wanted it., which I did.  Loved your photo of the rapeseed - it's all around my sister's house - was almost luminescent on the rainy days. Will post a photo at some point.  :-)   I know one type of rapeseed produces what we call Canola oil here, but not sure if it's the same crop as that grown in the UK.  I've been to Caernafon castle.  Some nice garden pix there - my sister was pointing out the native bluebells (flowers on one side of stalk) from the Spanish?? invaders.  Congrats on seeing your visiting bird safely out the window.

Alan:  Thank you for thinking of me.  I may have missed th launch you were referring to, but  just checked that link and there is a Vandenberg launch scheduled for Saturday the 19th. I'll keep an eye on the schedule.

Heather: I came back to a non-functioning fountain. The pump filter gets blocked by bird feathers.  I've been cheating and using an old toothbrush to clear it out, but there's a point (now, I think) where I have to take the fountain apart and then the pump itself to clean it properly.  The fountain sounds lovely, but I think I'd go with a plain old bird bath next time - much less maintenance.   I'd be hard-pressed to put up with neighbor's radio without saying something. What does she listen to (not that that's the issue)?    Houston?  Hmmm.  Would that be permanent?  Though sounds like he's decided against it.  I'm also forgot when new baby is due; good that you can plan these arrivals to an extent.

Rosy: I think we missed the boat when it comes to couples sharing the household chores.  My mother used to put the sheets in what we called a copper - and sometimes the bathtub!  We did have a wringer, which I was fascinated by; then the sheets would go on the line or, on rainy days, be hung on one of those Scotch airers in the kitchen (scullery in those days).  We are SO lucky these days.

OG:  I was wondering how you felt about daughter's downsized celebration.  I remember you were concerned about it also that she wasn't going to be around for your big wedding anniversary (I think I remember correctly).  I do hope she gets over her bad feelings - life's simply too short to let things like that come between family members.  I can imagine you're reluctant to spread the word given her past reactions. Hope J's additional tests will all be fine.  Surgery?    Nice to see photo of Miriam - what a sweetie!  Hope the first of your two planned breaks goes well so you can do the second one too - also that the pain diminishes so you can enjoy yourself.

AQ: Welcome home!  I can see the thread will be photo-heavy in the next couple of weeks!

Cathy:  Hallo there!  Sounds like a nice day out for you.

Nice to read everyone's news and comments.

OK.  It's nearly  9 am and I'm still in bed!  Have arranged to call sister and BiL, so must rouse myself.  Back later!

• OG   Hope you continue to gat more pain free.

Benson goes for his haircut tomorrow, He will look a very different dog in the afternoon.

• Nice to hear you're safely back home, Annette.  Sounds as if you've had an interesting trip.  I would love to see Chicago! Was the train comfortable? I like to watch the programmes shown here about train travel in the U.S., the trains look wonderful!

OG -  Good that you're feeling more comfortable now. Your knees must have objected to your having a busy day.  My Friend loves to cook, but her OH offered to cook for them once a week to give her a break from being in the kitchen. He did a stir fry twice, then a piece of minute steak once, then the next week offered to take her out to dinner!  Now, they have compromised on having an M&S ready meal once a week.....

• Just spoke to sis-in-law about the impending visit of Awful Cousin --- she is thinking of booking a holiday now, at the exact time of A. Cousins visit!!  "Perhaps she will take the hint that I'm not thrilled to see her!" she said.