DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Tuesday 1 May 2018

The two highlights of yesterday were that a nice large fish was delivered in early afternoon (scylla's video) and then, GJ dutifully stuck on the eggs for about 3 hours while EJ took her time munching on the good sized fish. In fact, when she finally returned, she gave up the fishtail to him. The icing on the cake consisted of the sweet calls GJ tweeted to EJ (CC's video), letting her know he was ready to take a break. It took an hour from the first time he tweeted for her to return to her brooding duties, but he never left the eggs alone. Sheila indicated in the pic (info from Alison), that she appeared to be eating the fish in the tree we possibly referred to as the Fish Perch.

GJ also chased off an intruder, we don't know who, maybe BlueNW3? Perhaps he thought he better up his game since the day before EJ had been soliciting fish from NW3, who was perched nonchalantly in the cam tree for an hour that previous day (pic of NW3 from the VC).

Of course, before all the good stuff happened, the morning began with no-fish GJ taking over incubation accompanied by an earbashing from EJ until he finally left, hopefully with a good idea in his head, to be delivered 3 hours later. (pic by Mike)

Here she is at present on the quiet nest, the full moon way over to the right edge. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• PS - Good morning, MOFFER :o :o :o

PPS - Thought I'd experiment with batch-improving those snaps but I can't remember how to do it... and can't even find the menu for it :(  I feel a reinstall coming on but that means shutting everything down :(((

• 12.08. EJ snoozing on the nest, so nice to see her so calm.

• Hi everyone ☺

An EJ sized wingspan amount of thanks for all the updates, pictures etc. That was a brilliant opening post, CC.  EJ looks her usual phenomenal self just now, as she sits on those eggs.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Sounds a wee bit windy.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Good Morning all On Scylla photo it looks like a GSW (Great Spotted Woodpecker )

Edit afternoon
  • Sorry to Trevor, ( didnt mean to flag you).  This is the first time I've managed to get my ID accepted this year.. Was off all last year for the same reason.. So can I please say hello to all, its lovely to see that lots of you are still there.. I used to be on as Vivienne L but am now "sniffyviv" - my nickname..  No doubt I will drive some people mad with my questions.... so hello hello hello....

• Good afternoon one and all. Only on page three, and for the past three or more hours EJ has given the occasional loud call, had a comfort break, the wind has got up and dropped, and the sun gone in.  Such a different day to y'day!  No sign of GJ, not even a courtesy call.  What is he up to?  Is he looking after two nests?  With y'day attentive behaviour I really though, yesss, he is coming thru his initiation and doing well.  But...  

What a brilliant opening CC, thank you!

A welcome to two new names this season, declan, who was enjoying the Dawn Chorus, and Viv M.  Ask away Viv, but may I suggest any 'not Daily Update' questions which lead to 'conversations' would be better put on the May Osprey Chat thread.  It's always great to have input for new folk here and I look forward to seeing more of you both.

One of EJ's comfort breaks earlier

and back

and now

13.24  and she checks her eggs once more, and settles, and still no sign of GJ.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/