DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Saturday 28 April 2018

Awwwww....Is she dreaming about George? GJ? JG? Geo? No, she just opened her eyes at the thought before shutting us out again. Here's Jess' reply to our collective doubts about the name.  © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Maybe it is just in the stars that we must let EJ and her new man define the new name, What about that?

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Thanks for starting the new DU, CC. Great opening as usual and gorgeous pic of EJ. I wonder how EJ addresses George. Perhaps it's the Ghaidhlig Seòras. Maybe in a friendly mood she calls him Geordie but George in circumstances where she feels a wee bit more serious and a little bit angry.

I could just imagine the following conversation:

EJ: Could you get me a fish, Geordie? Please darling.

George: I'll get a fish soon enough but I want to fetch a couple of big sticks first.

EJ: I Want a fish now George! 

Anyway. Enough of my gibberish. George follows in a great line of Loch Garten Resident Male Ospreys. My Ospreyitis isn't old enough to remember OrangeVS, or Henry, or Ollie. There is so much history about Loch Garten that I feel like I'm honoured to be watching history unfold before my eyes. Even in my own eight years of watching Ospreys. The technological advances have been amazing. I now get to watch EJ and George on my phone. Back in 2010, I had to wait until I got home before I fired up the laptop before I got to see EJ and Odin. I can only imagine what it was like to follow the Ospreys in the early years after the species became present again in Scotland. One thing I will say though is I hope George has many successful years as Resident Loch Garten Male, and EJ has many more years as Resident Loch Garten Female. 

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Thanks CC for starting off the new thread. I think that George is a great name for the new male osprey. If it had not been for the dedication of George Waterson you might not have any ospreys to watch. 

Back in 2011 Chloe Baker and I accidentally ran into George's wee brother. It was a great thrill.

As some of you may know we have been trying to find the letter written to the Scotsman in March 1956 by a certain Desmond Nethersole Thompson. Someone succeeded about two months ago and that was a great thrill too. We had been looking for over seven years.

So I do approve of the name. 

Here is the  podcast. It is at 1hr 20min

• Of course I know we shouldn’t humanise wild birds. Especially magestic, migratory fish hunting raptors called Ospreys but a few minutes ago EJ just done something which felt ever so slightly human. She was awake, watchful and alert. Then she put her head back benith her wings to have a preen, and then she started to snooze. Absolutely gorgeous but at least EJ doesn't have a snooze button to bother her in the morning. Or if I can be allowed to put it another way there isn't a snooze button on an Osprey alarm call. Anyway here's a screenshot.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Great Post, Tiger. I actually had a feeling they would name the new male Osprey 'George', as soon as it was mentioned in the first blog to focus on him. I love the reasons for calling him George because as you say if it wasn't for the dedication of George Waterston, we might not have Ospreys to watch.

• 01.25: EJ sleeping, with her head tucked back behind her wings. She's looking sweet, and Phenomenal as usual. You know I'm tempted to start calling her new mate: George The Sensational. Well his transformation from unsure looking young male to an Osprey who is getting more skilled at the job by the second is quite sensational, and those big fish he's been bringing back in the last few days have been sensational.

• Thanks for the very tactful thread opener CC. :)

Unknown said:

Oh dear. .......... I could use GEO, for short...

A 'Thumbs Up' from me for this CC :-)

Sorry, the name for the this years Loch Garten male just doesn't do it for me. I could say more, but I won't here.

Full respect to George Waterson, and everything he did for the Osprey, but he did it for ALL Osprey!!!

• 02.35: EJ awakens, then has a wee preen. Head back under the wings and back to sleep she goes. I wonder if Ospreys dream.

• And at 02.39. She's pretty much awake. She gave me a stare which reminds me of the time I was stupid enough to challenge her to a staring contest. I think I did very well to come third that day. 

• 02.47. I wonder if she's dreaming of giant fish shaped sticks, or humongous stick shaped fish. 

• Good morning!

Thank you for the fitting start to the new DU, CC :-*

I quite like your suggestion of "Geo", CC & TRYING - it'll sound like Jo.

Thank you for the link to the podcast, TIGER :)

Thank you for all your whimsical musings, HERON ;)  ...

...And for all the photos, in view of which I won't post another just now - she's tucked in, sleeping peacefully, as in your last.

Off to do a catchup and maybe get coffee #1, not sure.