DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Friday 27 April 2018

Well, this DU intro is all about Junior. Our new male certainly has a way with twigs and branches, as seen in Moffer's early morning snap below.
In fact, it turns out looking like our Junior may likely be last season's Twiggy, underlined by the fact that Limpy has called him Twiggy all along, and scylla finally did an empirical study of head markings. He also seems to be one of those fathers that needs to be pushed off the eggs (scylla's vid), and that was after only bringing clumps, not fish. After a couple intruder alerts, Moffer posted this wonderful shot of him yawning as EJ calls for a meal (that she hadn't had yet). It was only after 1 pm that he circled over the nest with a headless fish before finally delivering it to EJ 5 minutes later. Floating names for this new male brought out the origin of Odin's name. Sheila offered a note from Alison on Junior's whereabouts off the nest from LG's perspectives. Growing consensus that he's worthy has many wanting to see him properly named, especially since he has a dedicated thread here. EJ had been dozing on the nest, as seen below, but right now she is sorting her feathers after having been awakened by something a little while ago (next post). © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Good Boy!He's settling to incubate

Text book: EJ shouting/ male landing with fish/EJ flies off with it/he settles on the eggs

• patily said:

FISH

Should I deduce that you are back motoring with your new laptop, PATILY?  If so - I'm so pleased for you! :)

• Morning all. I just sat down as the 'I see a fish' calls started. Lucky timing. We had yet another power cut in the early hours, and has been back on for less than an hour, with low voltage. Took my kettle over 15 minutes to boil!! but having the web cam on was a priority ;o)

• moffer said:
    I just sat down as the 'I see a fish' calls started. Lucky timing.

To say the least!

moffer said:
    We had yet another power cut in the early hours, and has been back on for less than an hour, with low voltage. Took my kettle over 15 minutes to boil!! but having the web cam on was a priority ;o)

Good to know you have your priorities in order.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Off to Minsmere today  - have a good day, everyone.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Great to see the male delivering an early morning fish - thanks for all the captures.

Looking very settled and taking his incubating duties quite seriously now

• 8.25 Looks like Junior incubating the eggs at the moment, he is quite a handsome bird.

• CATCHUP

EJ was quite restless overnight.  After CC's video:

There were more ups 'n downs.

EJ was calling, presumably "contact" calls.  Junior arrived and stayed for a minute @ 04:51, then returned (flyby first) @ 04:59hr for mating - he pranced towards her, paddled on her, bit her head... but she did not co-operate.  He didn't hang around.

Somehow I've managed to do snaps in higgledy-piggledy order :'(

He didn't approach EJ for mating but pranced towards her, then posed:

Later...

Rose up and flew off:

Can't load the fly-off.

DAYCAM 05:00hr:

Another FINE FISH @ 07:51hr:

• I'd like to bring forward this post of Sheila's from last night with Alison's report for anyone who has not seen it.   

SheilaFE said:

Update from Alison on FB, who has given permission for us to share her posts:

"I was on duty this evening in the forward hide and the male came to the nest about three times.  He tends to just appear from nowhere on the nest so we have no idea where he has come from. There are so many trees around, he can easily slip in from the back without us seeing him!! He took away the fish tail and flew to a dead tree stump down the front of the nest where EJ couldn't see him and ate it! He was perched on the camera tree for a short time, tried to mate with EJ a couple of times which she wasn't too impressed about, and the rest of the time was not visible. He flies off out of view and then we have no idea where he goes."

I find this interesting that most of the times he is out of sight.  I wonder where he is hiding but surely it cannot be far away for any time there has been an intruder, he has appeared almost immediately.