DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Thursday 26 April 2018

Well, it certainly was another exciting day at the nest. While we are delighted that Junior is stepping up to the plate, we couldn't figure out how he been able to deliver two good sized fish within about half an hour. After much speculation about where he could have gone to fish and have time to catch and bring another, RSPB Loch Garten FB posted that an intruder male had brought the first trout (BNN's video), just before the 2nd delivery by Junior! Junior's looked much better, too, and she looked like she wanted to take it off him. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

The events surrounding the two fish an intruder are still unclear. Then of course there were the subsequent "trout variety" discussions: Blue trout, sea trout, brown trout or rainbow trout??? It is a mystery to me, though whatever the first one was, it did seem like a tough tear for EJ.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Here he comes  ...........FISH @ 13 40

• The male has returned with the fish and it is EJ's partner not an intruder :-)

EJ flies off and the male takes over incubating

He is really good at this 

So lovely to see fish coming in, the male settled into and sharing incubating duties with EJ allowing her a break.

• He looks a happy bunny now

• Hi everyone ☺

Many thanks for all the updates, pictures etc. Good to see there has been fish delivered today. Junior on eggs just now, after a job well done.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• moffer said:

How funny. During Juniors last visit, EJ calling for fish and he yawns :o))

Sorry I'm late!

Moffer's snap is much better value than the movie, as it was a very quick cropdrop :)  But later EJ did 8 in a row!  (And a few more afterwards, not included.)

Norty Junior teased EJ with a glimpse of another of his fine fish (no tough ole brown things from him!)...

Or - another interpretation - Dear Junior reassured EJ that he had her brunch/lunch (and possibly tea/supper) and was just off to quarter-fill his empty crop :)))

In any event, he was soon back with the fish, headless.  Some pre-incubation faffing edited out but a crackle left in.

IMAGICAT

• Has any of us not warmed to "Junior" yet? :-*

Just a lack of matings today, rather puzzling.

Edit - I wonder how soon LG will feel it's safe to name him?

IMAGICAT

• Relaxing, but keeping an eye on someone up there

It's hard work this nest lark. Oh pardon me

• scylla said:
    I wonder how soon LG will feel it's safe to name him?

It can't happen soon enough.  It feels so ridiculous to still be calling him Junior (and even Limpy's affectionate 'Twiggy' isn't much better!).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• scylla said:

Has any of us not warmed to "Junior" yet? :-*

Just a lack of matings today, rather puzzling.

Edit - I wonder how soon LG will feel it's safe to name him?

Oh, I think he is lovely and doing a wonderful job but we should've known that being EJ's choice as who could ever have doubted her judgement:-)   But I'll be glad when they name him as personally I don't like the name Junior, but that is just me :-)   But I truly hope it isn't George and definitely not Poseidon - that spells disaster!   IMO He needs a good strong name - either to continue from Odin ie Thor or a good, strong Scottish name.   

But speaking of Odin - heart in my mouth here - he was a good one wasn't he? and I do miss Odin but if he has departed this earth, then I like to think of him having a wonderful time in his great hall - Valhalla.   

• Karen W said:
    But speaking of Odin - heart in my mouth here - he was a good one wasn't he? and I do miss Odin but if he has departed this earth, then I like to think of him having a wonderful time in his great hall - Valhalla.   

I feel the same. When he needed a break from sitting, he would call to EJ, and she would return. I miss that a lot.