DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Thursday 26 April 2018

Well, it certainly was another exciting day at the nest. While we are delighted that Junior is stepping up to the plate, we couldn't figure out how he been able to deliver two good sized fish within about half an hour. After much speculation about where he could have gone to fish and have time to catch and bring another, RSPB Loch Garten FB posted that an intruder male had brought the first trout (BNN's video), just before the 2nd delivery by Junior! Junior's looked much better, too, and she looked like she wanted to take it off him. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

The events surrounding the two fish an intruder are still unclear. Then of course there were the subsequent "trout variety" discussions: Blue trout, sea trout, brown trout or rainbow trout??? It is a mystery to me, though whatever the first one was, it did seem like a tough tear for EJ.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• What a super capture (13.26) from Moffer as Junior came in, but did a fly-over - the third pic in particular. The classic bullet position!  And again Moffer's sequence of photos at 13.40 show how different in colour the fish can appear - silver, silver with dark down the back, and black.  So difficult for we non-aficionados to determine which type of fish it is, if it is not a regular species!  It was a good size, whatever it was!

I loved Odin too, he was such a character in so many ways.  I particularly liked their chatty exchanges of greetings.  Perhaps it will develop, particularly once the chicks are with us.

What a super capture (13.26) from Moffer as Junior came in, but did a fly-over - the third pic in particular. The classic bullet position!  And again Moffer's sequence of photos at 13.40 show how different in colour the fish can appear - silver, silver with dark down the back, and black.  So difficult for we non-aficionados to determine which type of fish it is, if it is not a regular species that we are used to!  It was a good size, whatever it was!  I can remember the odd brown trout being brought in in years gone by, they were definitely, well, browny!

Junior is doing such a grant job, and I think I warmed to him when he brought in the fish and did his first incubation.  Now I think EJ will have trouble getting him up, just like Odin!  I find it fascinating that so many males have the instinct to incubate.  I wonder whether there has been evidence of the male doing it all, and the female doing the fishing throughout the season.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Junior is still incubating.  No sign of EJ who is obviously taking her time over her lunch.

• The wind caught his tail feathers and tipped him up

• Junior got up to check the eggs, and to change direction.  He stumbled and clattered, but I think all was OK with the eggs.  He has settled again - biting at the dead grass and the twiggy stick he brought in earlier!

• The other day when Junior* was incubating MOFFER said she got a lump in her throat - I was watching at the same time and was in the same condition, and I'll never stop missing Odin :-*

*Junior is not meant to be a name, CLARE, just a different moniker from the other New Males using the hook of LG saying he was young.  I would hate it to be long-lived :o  Twiggy didn't stick because Moffer thought that he was not the same bird, and you know how I trust her judgement on these matters ;-)  Does Limpy think he's the same bird?  Do we have comparison snaps?  I bet we do, if I were not fading now.

This phrase is getting too familiar, but...

I don't remember there being so many consecutive windy days as we've had recently!

Time for a nap, methinks.

IMAGICAT

• I just missed that, but got a little portrait of him afterwards.© RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

And here is a longer portrait clip from before this.

• SheilaFE said:

Junior got up to check the eggs, and to change direction.  He stumbled and clattered, but I think all was OK with the eggs.  He has settled again - biting at the dead grass and the twiggy stick he brought in earlier!

See how easily I get digressed?  I came here to post that:

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I don't remember there being so many consecutive windy days as we've had recently!

Very windy now. And yes, I think Junior is an affectionate nickname for the time being only. I like Phoenix, and I also like Orion. Phoenix has great connotations.

• Hiya, CC :)  I should have plonked yours on the end of mine :)

SYAL!

IMAGICAT

• It was perfect, scylla, as I was kicking myself for missing it!