Daily Update ~Loch Garten Nest~ Tuesday, 17 April 2018

Yesterday's Daily Update saw some 370 posts, and spread to 25 pages. Trust me if you ever get the chance to read over it you will find it a great read. Not sure I could ever find the brevity to sum it up in one post. 

Here's to Tuesday, and hopefully it will see EJ settle down with the most suitable male. She is on the nest just now. Quite windy at LG 

Taken at 00.12

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Hi all, this is a surprise. Without wishing to sound callous, if EJ isn't going to fertilise the egg then maybe her chances of a successful season require the egg to be disposed of. Ian

• Karen B said:

Being such an experienced osprey, I assume she knows that she does not have a reliable male to feed her on the nest...

I think your assumption is 'spot on'. I think it also indicates that there now can be little doubt that there are at least 2 unringed males that have been vying for her attention over the last day or so and neither has established absolute territorial authority.

As to the egg itself my understanding is that if incubation has not started and the core temperature of the egg hasn't been raised, then it is probably still 'viable' for 2 or 3 days, possibly even a little longer. Obviously the more time that passes before incubation commences the less likely it is to hatch and the more likely that it will get kicked out or broken in any melees or scuffles on the nest.

A sad sight indeed - but history at this nest in particular (2004) tells us that even if this egg is not incubated, then if the males can 'sort themselves out' sooner rather than later, we may still get 1 or more healthy chicks on the nest this year. Unfortunately the next chapter in this year's book will probably have more to do with the behaviour / attributes of at least 2 competing males, rather than the influence of EJ the Phenomenal.

I would be really interested to read a new blog and also see if Alison can shed any light of the thinking at the VC where they have been able to see and hear far more than us.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Good morning, all!  This is the last thing I expected to see - though a few years ago, didn't Mrs G lay 5 unfertilised eggs before laying 6 and 7 (which actually hatched!)?

Her Beautifulness is looking less than happy - she must be very hungry.  Please let one of these young males bring her a fish.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good morning, Ian, CRinger and Clare :)

Of course, there's plenty of time for this egg to have been fertilised elsewhere - and if by any chance it hatches, we'll have no idea who the father is.

IMAGICAT

• My cam went down while I was out of the room, but VLC (which I don't usually use because of resource shortage) kept going, or maybe it just froze for a while - it just froze for a moment now and resumed.

IMAGICAT

• Ok, i was not expecting an egg? Is this a strategy to teach a young male asap about the real goal of nest-owning and -building? She is not incubating in this fierce winds? Do you lot have enough egg-pictures yet?

(Sorry, I didnt read back first, i have come to the “last post” like a flabbergasted watcher to share the surprise with you lot: )

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• Unknown said:
    a flabbergasted watcher

LOL!

Oops!  VLC and Carnyx cam both crashed!

IMAGICAT

• Morning All - when I saw, then, 70+ posts I knew something was up but did not expect an egg!  

She will have her reasons for delaying incubating as I too understand it can delayed for a couple of days and I recall Maya doing this this with her first egg, 2015 I think.  

But I find this very, very sad.  I was not hoping for eggs let alone chicks this season.  I just wanted to see EJ find a new mate and spend the season bonding and establishing territory rights.

• I hope this hasn't posted twice, but according to me my first effort has gone walkies.

IMAGICAT