DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Sunday, 15 April 2018

Yesterday was another marred by both cam and EJ outages :'(

A special Thank You to Alison Elder, on duty at LG, for allowing us to share her discouraging ;) info:

Our New Male has competition!  (Snaps by BirdieNumNum, thank you!)

Defending in the evening...

...versus another unringed male, not seen well enough for any ID notes:

The Daily Update is for recording nest events only, allowing for banter ;) - any questions or conversations can happen on the Osprey Chat thread.  Thank you!

IMAGICAT

• It is so difficult Scylla to tell especially with the light changing.

Plus I get so excited when one lands that I cannot pick out details also I don't use VLC - just stills.    I am so glad you are all recording :-)

• moffer said:

I think it looks like another male too. Perhaps the third bird?

I thought it was "our" New Male... but you know only too well that I don't see what's there sometimes ;)

I hope your equipment/system is all in order, MOFFER - was hoping for some of your supersnaps.

Here's extracts of his nestcuppy visit:

IMAGICAT

• Perhaps they've gone fishing now - all TEN of them looked hollow-cropped ;-D

IMAGICAT

• I think that was 'our' Newman, but there are two males and BD female around. I'm finding it very hard to post today. S....L....O....W

• Wow. Four pages already. I though EJ had finally chosen a mate, laid 3 eggs, reared chicks, and gone back to Africa. Good work capturing all the action folks

• As usual, fantastic pics, vids and reporting....Thank you.

You wanted action...well seems today has started off well, and got everyone talking, even if it is to ask.....'who was that just landed?'

• Oh deary me! First our lovely girl comes home and has a 3 week wait until Newman arrives, then one day together and she goes away and he potters in and out for a few days and now all this, 3 males and a female, and still no EJ. I can't cope, am away to get ready for church, thanks so much for all the captures, catch up in the afternoon.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I think there is little doubt now that there has been a second male 'interested' in this nest since EJ's encounter with the first male, and quite possibly a 3rd male. I agree, with the changing light it is extremely difficult to conclude just how many 'new' males unless you can compare head markings at the 'same angle.' I assume that at LG they have footage of the male(s) on the camera tree and it should be easier for them to give an authoritative conclusion as to identities. I look forward to the next blog.

I think I remember posting much earlier in the season that I wasn't worried that EJ would not find a male, my worry was that there would be more than one and that it would take them so long to sort out a hierarchy that by the time a male had established himself it would be too late to breed. My fingers are crossed that 1 of these guys will quickly make himself at home, start displaying, lure EJ back from wherever she lurks, that she is impressed by his efforts and concludes that he is a suitable partner and father for her chicks.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:
    I think I remember posting much earlier in the season that I wasn't worried that EJ would not find a male, my worry was that there would be more than one and that it would take them so long to sort out a hierarchy that by the time a male had established himself it would be too late to breed.

Yes, I remember you saying that, CRinger.  Let's hope it's not prophetic.

IMAGICAT

• Sorry, I'm very late, although I've had the cam on for over an hour.... comparing and contrasting.  I think we only have one male, our original New Male/Newman, but I can possibly shed light on the female.

Last week there was much debate about the blue ringed female who landed on the nest on 2 April at around 19.22hrs, and her Darvic number. Some thought it could have been 08/80 but that is already in use on a Rutland bird. 

Alison went to Loch Insh last week and just missed two osprey, but one was still around.  She asked if any were ringed.  Yes, came the reply, and the camera was zoomed in to reveal DB.  Alison checked the pics of the LG intruder and felt they were the same bird, so submitted the sighting to RD with a photo from the Forum, and the photograph taken at Loch Insh.  Tim came back and said is was a bird ringed by RD, further info to follow.  She heard back on Friday that it was ringed near Carrbridge in July 2010 (probably nest A11) with parents Blue XD and Green J!!!  How ironic that a bird whose father dallied with EJ and is now intruding at LG.  But even more exciting is the fact we know her parents are well known!!  I haven't read the recent posts about today's blue ringed intruder, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn it is Blue DB(10)f.

Forum photo 2 April - doesn't she look like EJ!

and the photo taken at Loch Insh

Is DB waiting for her mate to return, is that what EJ is doing?  Meanwhile life must go on...

Thank you Alison for providing the information, and for giving permission to post on the Forum. 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/