DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Saturday, 7 April 2018

The day or rather night started with EJ performing what became virtually an 'all night vigil' following her arrival on the nest late the previous evening in darkness after obviously sensing Pine Marten activity on the nest - the encounter brilliantly captured as usual by the amazing Scylla. She (EJ not Scylla), together with a rather unappetising tail of a fish, remained on the nest until just before dawn. The nest was mostly unoccupied during the day and we hope that the new day will bring us 2 Ospreys, preferably of different sexes and certainly 1 of them has to be EJ, getting to know each other. Hope springs eternal.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Morning all, hopefully going to be a nice day at LG. no snow or rain but some sunshine, just what is needed for EJ and her mate! We will await and see what today will bring. SYAL?

Have a nice week away Otter, hope you can still tune in!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Someone just flew over.

EDIT, just a Corvid

• Not sure this is the most apt place to post this comment so apologies in advance if I offend......... but we have been ruminating about when a suitor may appear and this set me thinking...... if there was any one place in the world I could have been at dawn this morning it would have been Rothiemurchus Fish Farm. I would love to have counted the Ospreys in the air. I was luckier than Chris Packham, (not sure who briefed him that the bird with an antennae was one of the study birds from Loch Garten - shame on you BBC!) - my record was an 'unlucky (!?!)' 13 visible at any one time......... and this was in Spring, so none were chicks hatched that year. It would certainly give you a good idea today of how many active birds are currently in the area.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Morning ALL, and how lovely to see CRinger starting us off this morning! 

It's been very quiet as I have been sitting here.  I too had a similar thought that EJ might go in search of a handsome young male, given that she left early last year.  Did she do the same then, or did she just get fed up with the continuous intrusions.  We will never know what went thru her mind at the time.

As for Blue XD, he found himself a new lady in 2015, unringed, who saw off Green J from her established nest and mate.  Blue XD dnr in 2016, thought to have either been caught in fishing nets or killed in the coastal village of Diogue, Ziguinchor Region, Senegal.  Green J returned to a new nest in 2016 and to her new male, Blue CL6(13)m from Tweed Valley.  So the query might be did the unringed female who ousted Green J stay with A11 nest when Blue XD failed to return in 2016.  Did one of EJ's 2017 intruders take up home there!

ENS, a brightish day with no sunshine, a gentle breeze moving the grass, but no sticks!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Our beautiful little bird is back:

And again, on the near side:

Flown:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• EJ!

Wow.  Has someone been playing 'It's Raining Men' to her?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• There's someone around I think

• Oh dear, cam went down and I was busy with Arkaig so I didn't "bother" to refresh it manually, now I see that EJ is on the nest, so cross with myself >:(

• Has she been eating a fish?  She is 'licking' her 'lips'!  Who or what is she watching so intently?  Or is it wishful thinking on my part!