LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for APRIL and MAY, 2018

• Good morning all. Still no better news for dear EJ. June I felt quite sad reading your post of disappearing wildlife and how you feel about the loch garten nest. I can understand how you feel. I still keep up with the news but cannot watch as we have limited internet!

I'm happy she returned in such good fettle and hopefully she may have a more attentive partner next year.

Talking of vanishing wildlife I am surprised to find that our local rabbit population has crashed! I am heart broken as I used to  love watching them grazing in the evenings and watching their beautiful babies. I used to see 20 plus every evening now only 2! There is a virus where they heammorage and die subbenly! It's spreading quickly and is now having an effect on buzzards and stats that eat them! Who'd have thought they could decline so drastically?

•  PICTURE FROM FACEBOOK

These comments are mine: Same old George.  So what's new?!?!!  It will take some time and a lot more change for me ever to have any respect for this bird.  He has already probably cost us one or two bobbleheads (if there was any viability to start with)  and an entire osprey season.

What do y'all think?  

• My first glimpse of a chick this season - three (I think) at Manton Bay.  This just hits home the fact that we have none at LG and I feel sad & jealous and envious.  Not good, June! Of course I am pleased for Manton Bay.

• Quote from ANN:  "

"June, I hope I am able to understand and empathise with how you feel without feeling completely the same all of the time, if you see what I mean."  
     Ann, The Gabfest was founded amidst controversy and "dedicated to the proposition" that we could each express our own opinions and feelings (within the rules of the forum, of course) and still remain friends.  What a dull world it would be if we all looked alike, thought alike, felt alike, etc.  I for one always welcome opinions and particularly feelings about individual osprey.  Actually when I express mine, it is usually in the hopes that it will encourage others to do the same, be they the same or different..
  • "June, I hope I am able to understand and empathise with how you feel without feeling completely the same all of the time, if you see what I mean."  

Ann, The Gabfest was founded amidst controversy and "dedicated to the proposition" that we could each express our own opinions and feelings (within the rules of the forum, of course) and still remain friends.  What a dull world it would be if we all looked alike, thought alike, felt alike, etc.  I for one always welcome opinions and particularly feelings about individual osprey.  Actually when I express mine, it is usually in the hopes that it will encourage others to do the same, be they the same or different..

• KEITH, unlike you I cannot pop in at LOTL for a personal visit.  Just joking, as you know I am dependent on cameras.  I do check in occasionally as it is one of the four nests that I have handy and have been acquainted with for some time. Unfortunately, for me the picture is not good. On your recommendation, I did check in again.  As usual it is quite blurred, so I posted a picture to demonstrate.  Other than Lady, there has never been anything to draw me personally to this nest.

HOWEVER, I know we have readers who never speak and I know that they and more  vocal Gabbers, as well as myself, are always pleased to read your reports of your visits to LOTL and your upcoming visits to WALES NESTS and/or any other osprey experiences you might have.

• ANN, I enjoyed your farm adventures as I also grew up on a small farm.  A couple dozen baby chicks were purchased early spring for meat during the summer.  Beautiful fluffy yellow chicks that soon grew ugly pin feathers.  Also bought in spring one or two piglets to raise during summer  and butcher when weather turned cold, about November, for meat during much of the winter.  Someone once named one of the pigs "Ginger". I was never tempted to make pets of any of these animals.  I do remember our Jersey cow with some fondness, but she was a cantankerous redhead and we learned to keep our distance.

• Good morning all. Just read that George had brought in 2fish for EJ. Too late though!

The chicks at Rutland are getting really big now. They are at the "cute" stage now and they will reach the really ugly age! 33 is doing a great job of feeding his family.

• Very hot and humid today. There was a spectacular light show night before last. Lightning flashing every 2 seconds it was amazing! No thunder though. Some properties were burned and destroyed unfortunately. I wish I could have taken a photo!

• !WOW!!, Willow Wow!!!     Sorry to hear about the destruction.  Hope you were able to enjoy.  I'm sure it must have been a wee bit scary at best.