LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for APRIL and MAY, 2018

• Good evening all. Love your train photos Keith! Yes June I did enjoy spotting that!Such good news that Gwynant has returned! Good news tinged with some sadness as I watched the ringing video with the beautiful music you could see Glesni. He must have returned earlier but was not spotted until this year :)

• Its great to see the beautiful EJ on eggs again not sure that they will be successful as the first one had been left for some time. George hopefully will step up, but he is young still and I really hope he will prove himself, he has however got massive shoes to fill and cannot match Odin the Magnificent yet nor can his name! Not that I don't like the name George because i do just not for an osprey :)

I hope EJ has at least one bobblehead, as you say June, such a tragic year last year, she has invested so much. We can just watch and hope

• Garden birder you are lucky to be volunteering at Glaslyn. I would like to visit there one day! Our "local" nest would also be Poole Harbour probably our nearest as we live in Kent! Rutland wasn't too far away either :) I am very excited about the Poole Harbour translocation project!

• We also had a few years back now a hail storm and the stones were about the size of golf balls. There were commercial green houses nearby that were smashed to pieces. At least noone was hurt! My car looked like it had been damaged with a hammer!

•   Well, that changed quickly.  But then lights do turn on and off quickly, don't they!  The "storm" clouds look much less threatening in day light.  And that too is kind of the way of life. Maany things look or sound much better in the light of day.

• I assume now we pass 80+ hours since EJ laid her last egg that this would be the final egg.

In 2014 both at Kielder and Dyfi there was a gap of over 100 hours between eggs.

Now we await ChloeB count up clocks for any hatching.

• Unknown said:
    Maany things look or sound much better in the light of day.

YES including the fact that EJ got frosted over last night. The temperatures dropped to sub zero last night in Scotland.

• And we had freeze warnings here in southwest Ohio.  Don't think it got below freezing, but close.  Winter just doesn't want to let go this year.

I am definitely hoping for at least one wee bobblehead, even though there is some doubt in my mind as to the fertility of the last two eggs.

• DOP have asked the public if they should name Blue 3J or not and if you vote Yes submit your choice. They said they may do this if Blue 12 (GLESNI) did not return.

May 1 is deadline for her to return so the naming is open until May 1.

Although I am not particular fond of just naming an osprey any name I understand why VC need to and DOP over the years have picked some excellent names for the young ospreys.

GLESNI (Blue 12) was welsh for BLUE.

I have submitted a name to them ADAIN a girls name in Welsh which is the Welsh meaning for Winged.

• Willow, We decided last year to have a holiday in northwest Wales to visit both Dyfi and Glaslyn as well as to do a few touristy things.  Dyfi had posted that they had 100 volunteers and they did not need any more at that time which prompted us to volunteer at Glaslyn.  There was an almost instant reply to our e-mail and we settled on a couple of initial dates.  On the first day we met the lovely people at the site.  Everyone was very friendly and we very much enjoyed ourselves--Mr GB helped out with pointing out the nest and refocusing the scopes for visitors and I chatted with visitors, having studied the history of the nest.  I imagine we will do much the same this time, unless they ask us to do something else.  The visitor centre is a lovely little place and the added bonuses to watching the Ospreys are seeing little birds at the feeders only a couple metres away and the gorgeous views of the mountains.

Kind regards, Ann